Painting on Smooth Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, please can someone advise on what primer/first coat to use on a very smooth grey plaster before painting it with Dulux Matt? I stripped some of the old paint from the walls as it was very loose (it felt almost like a loose wallpaper) and all the layers came off very easily. I suspect the walls were not sealed properly when the house was originally built in 90s. Underneath is just a very nice smooth grey plaster. What can I use to make sure the new paint sticks to the walls properly and it doesn't come off again? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Photo of the walls in question, please note I will finish stripping it all (corner to corner) and fill the small cracks. It just got too late last night. :D

Attachments

• 20211019_225738[1].jpg
    20211019_225738[1].jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 20211018_194204[1].jpg
    20211018_194204[1].jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 97
Get some trade matt emulsion - or " paint for new plaster " neither have any vinyl in them (unlike your Dulux matt ) then apply a " mist coat " of diluted non vinyl paint- dilution ratio on the tin ( or look @ old posts here on forum ) It will soak into the plaster and when dry be a good base for your Dulux matt . DO NOT under ANY circumstances apply PVA ! - though some people may suggest it - not on this forum though;)

Sponsored Links
I'm thinking pva has been used previously. This may still be on the plaster so may need a good sanding! Does the plaster still look shiny?

Lick your finger and touch the wall with the finger. If the plaster does not change colour immediately, it may have PVA on it. Sanding the plaster with 80 grit is normally sufficient.

Normally, the back of the emulsion tub states you add 10% water to the emulsion to make a mist coat.

Maybe contract matt was put on to allow walls to dry out over the coming months but it's not great at sticking especially if over diluted. Maybe it's lost its bond and all coming off now.

Acrylic primer undercoat or gardz with prime walls

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back