Painting onto new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
complete newbie looking for advice. We have had the ceiling and walls skimmed. We plan to paint them but I need to know if I need to prep them with anything before painting.

thanks

Rich

Sponsored Links
Hi new plaster will need a watered down Matt emulsion this is called the mist coat, it will give you the base to then paint your chosen paint on top, just use a white emulsion that would be the cheapest option, if the plaster has any imperfections or a high gloss to it then give it a light sand first

Sponsored Links
when i searched is says 50:50 30:70 15% ?? also seems to depend on whose paint you use??

I am new to this and don't really want to balls up my kitchen - I am trying to save money not have to waste more on getting a pro to fix my mess...

There is a post right next to yours answering your question. I explain how much to thin by and why we apply a mist. You have to understand that yours is a common question asked and can get a bit tiresome when the information is right there in front of you. Hope it goes ok.

ok got that. don't use PVA dilute matt emulsion with 30% water and roller on and cut in with a brush...

roughly how long should I wait for it to dry, if the plaster is going to suck the water out of the paint?

i didn't see the posts 'below' when i searched, they were from 2007/8..

apologies, didn't mean to upset anyone.

Rich

Couldn't really give you a time on how long to dry, depends on how warm the room is and how absorbent the plaster is, just leave it over night you can start a brand new day then

Hi Rich, sorry didn't mean to come across as being funny, TBH this forum needs a few stickies and painting bare plaster is one of them.

The mist coat (in a normal house temp for time of year) usually dries really quick, normally you can over coat after an hour or two but consider outside walls and ambient temperature. Its always worth a quick sand afterwards to give it a de-nib, use a light grade of paper and one that wont scratch, i use silicone carbide.

no worries, good idea on the stickies, we tried to paint the bathroom a few years ago and it didn't turn out too well so I am trying to do it right this time..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back