painting or caulking first

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all,

I'm doing the whole house, skirting, doors, stairs etc ... everything is going to be white. Should i paint first or caulk first to get the best look?

rgds
d

Sponsored Links
Caulk is part of the prep stage, pre paint most cant be used as a finish like mastics and sealants can.

On hall walls consider diamond trade by Dulux. It will take a hammering and is fine to wash down / for high use areas (bag , dirty hand, shoe, blood, general household stains on walls :) )

Sponsored Links
I guess it depends on what you are caulking?

I caulked between wall and skirt after painting skirt/boards.

Are you painting the architraves/skirts? i'd say best to do these before.

I'm painting both architraves and skirts. Are you saying I should chauk first then paint?

I did architraves, got rid of old "sht" properly, filled in gaps, painted walls. I then satinwooded over and frogtaped paint side to give me a very decent line.

Skirting i paint walls, then I skirted over gap between wall and skirt.

Woodwork should always have a coat of paint on them first as the paint doesn't stick to raw wood very well.

Think Robbie meant caulk doesn't stick very well. Also bare wood and plaster can draw the moisture from the caulk before it has chance to set causing it to crack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back