Painting outside of house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My girlfriend has suggested we paint the pebbledash finish on the upper half of our house white/off-white, I think it will look good but am currently treating the idea with contempt as A) I am lazy B) I don't want to find I have a painting job on my hands every year keeping it looking right.

If I were to paint it realistically how often would it require painting and what good quality paints would people suggest I use? and what prepwork is needed before hand?

Sponsored Links
you may want to look at a post by Johnny-955 from Oct 2005 which covers much of this.

Don't know how to reference it in this forum I'm afraid

If the pebbledash is in good order and hasn't had any unsightly repairs done to it then you're better off leaving it as it is.

At the moment it is maintenance free, and if you paint it then it becomes a job for life. Since you say you are lazy why start something that is going to cause work and will cost money over the years?

You are just creating work for yourself, sure it looks good when 1st done but if you dont keep on top if it every 2 years or so it becomes a mess !

If you decide to go ahead with it the first coat will require alot of elbow grease, also ,as it is hard to cut in on a pebbledash wall, for the best result your better just hitting the downpipe as you paint behind it , which will mean you having to paint ur downpipes and windows if ur window ingo's are pebble dashed aswell.

DONT DO IT ! YOU WILL REGRET IT IN 2-3 YEARS TIME...I PROMISE !

Sponsored Links
masonry paint has a 15 year guarantee. You'll have moved by the time it needs painting again.

hi,
i've just painted the front of my house over a poor pebbledash. I've given it two coats now and the neighbours are very pleased :D

It did take ages - probably 30-40hrs (£50 of paint), and as the guy says, you need to use a small brush around the window frames and on the boundaries - but it can be done nice.

Now to convince the rest of the people in the street to do the same thing!

I'll probably only keep this for 5-10years, then rip the pebbledash off, render and put paint on again. That's the best solution (if you've got the money).

ps. it will need two coats to look decent.

prepwork? I just brushed mine down. I used a standard outdoor paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back