Painting over bathroom paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've recently had a new bathroom fitted and am now doing the decorating myself.

The previous owner of the house painted the room with glossy bathroom paint. Unfortunately the colour isn't great, and the bathroom fitters have had to do some rewiring so there's some exposed plaster. It seems time to repaint the room.

My first instinct was to strip the paint back to the plaster. I started doing so, but about two hours into the job realised that it would take me about a week. So, I'd like to paint right onto the bathroom paint.

I spent this afternoon sanding back the gloss a bit with an electric sander, just to take some of the shine off it and hopefully help new paint adhere to it.

My question is what to do next. I am a first-time homeowner so I don't really know what I'm doing. How do I prepare the walls now bearing in mind that they are 90% still covered in the original bathroom paint (albeit with the gloss knocked back a bit), but with some quite large areas of bare plaster showing?

I'd like to use glossy bathroom paint again (I like its waterproof qualities), but I need to know how to "prime" the walls first.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
hi there you dont need to prime the walls first. main thing is remove as much as the shine to the paint as possible this will give the new paint a key to stick to. after that repair any damaged areas with a filler and sand down smooth. then wash the walls down and your good to paint. i recommend using a soft sheen - also called eggshell paint in your bathroom its waterproof and its anti mold to. you can also buy special bathroom paints take a look at dulux website. when you say some of the plaster is showing do you mean where its been repaired after the chasing was filled if so just seal it with a watered down emulsion paint add 25% water to some cheap matt paint works really well it just stops the plaster sucking your paint up. dont paint the whole wall just where the plaster is. if you meant that the plaster showing is where you have scraped the paint off just rub it down and paint will be fine hope i made that clear if you want me to go over it again or you have some more questions just post a reply all the best x

Sponsored Links
remember you can get it mixed to any colour to but soft sheen will be fine to

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back