Painting over builders silicon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Sadly I didnt RTFM and used builders silicon to fill the gaps between my upvc windows and stone lintels.
The masonary paint didnt really cover it ( well it did after about 5 coats) and I suspect it will rub off quickly.
On reading here the suggestions I have seen are Cover with painters mate and re paint, use oil based undercoat and use some zinsser.

I do have some zinsser BIN would this work?
Would the oil undercoat work if the topcoat is water based masonry?
Is the painters mate really as simple as smearing it over the top and repainting?

The last option sounds good but some the silicon was on the vertical brick work ( also painted)

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
SX,
Thanks for that, had a horrible feeling you would say that. Was hoping for an easier ( if not longer lasting) solution

Sponsored Links
Cut the silicone flat with the windows. Unfortunately it will take just as long to try and paint the silicone as it would to cut it and cork.

As the building moves and windows flex the paint on the silicone will crack as it wouldn't be adhered properly unlike with painters mate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back