Painting over dark stain/varnish

L

longdogs

Hi all

I have recently painted over some door frames/banisters etc which were previously stained or varnished mahogany. I managed to sand and removed about 98 per cent of the stain and then painted in a white undercoat/primer. I am now ready to gloss the wood in white but have noticed that some staining is showing through on the bits that were not accessable.

Would a good white gloss stop the staining or do I need to recoat first in undercoat or maybe stain stop?

Any advice appreciated

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
As far as covering goes 1 or two undercoats followed by a coat of gloss should do it. Normally though its a good idea to apply a good primer sealer over previously stained timber for a couple of good reasons. Something like cover stain will promote adhesion, stop any bleeding and provide a bridging coat between stain and paint. Your case is a bit different though, because you sanded off most of the stain from a hardwood a hardwood primer is required, this is most commonly aluminium wood primer. There's little you can do about it now so you'll have to live with it, potential problems could be resinous bleeding coming through the paint and poor adhesion meaning it chips easily.

As far as covering goes 1 or two undercoats followed by a coat of gloss should do it. Normally though its a good idea to apply a good primer sealer over previously stained timber for a couple of good reasons. Something like cover stain will promote adhesion, stop any bleeding and provide a bridging coat between stain and paint. Your case is a bit different though, because you sanded off most of the stain from a hardwood a hardwood primer is required, this is most commonly aluminium wood primer. There's little you can do about it now so you'll have to live with it, potential problems could be resinous bleeding coming through the paint and poor adhesion meaning it chips easily.

Yeah thought as much but you say, too late now. Thanks for the reply mate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back