Painting over eggshell with eggshell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apolgies if this is a stupid question!

last summer I painted all the door frames with the usal undercoat and the egg shell paint as the mrs did not want a "shiny" look that gloss gives.

Now some of frames look very dull! For these can I just re apply another coat of egg shell, or do I have to sand it down again and then re apply?

I think its the latter as I am a novice, and if so will a gently rub with fine paper and two coats do? or do I need to get the sander out again!

Thanks so much in advance!

Sponsored Links
Gentle rub down with some fine stuff, then apply another coat, but thin it slightly. This will make it a bit easier going on.

It's called eggshell as it resembles the shell of an egg - ie NOT SHINEY. It looks a little satin when first applied but will go completely matt over time. What you really need is Satinwood.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both!

Can I therefore sand it down very gently and then put on one coat of satinwood over the eggshell, without the need to sand it down completly?

Thanks again.

The trick is to use the existing coat as a filler. Sand it with 120 grit until it is nice and smooth then Satinwood. You'll get a great finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back