Painting over filler- help pls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advice on this issue wud be a great help pls... At the moment it seems like I just can't get past the preparation stage for painting!!! :rolleyes:

Having filled in a lot of holes (with polyfiller) on my lounge walls I was going to just paint over them but someone said it would be better to do a base-coat in white first.

The bright white of the filler does seem to shine through paint (even white paint!) so I have painted 2 coats of white as a base ready to apply my expensive deep red paint on top. BUT what I've been warned now is that the white (paint & filler) will come through the red over the next year or so.
Has anyone else heard of this? And if so, was I rightly told that I need a sealant over the white to stop this from happening?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
We`ve got a deep red chimney breast, and no patches of filler coming thru after a year :confused: Was the paint Barrow+ Fall ;) I`ve heard that the colours can be copied pretty accurately into cheaper paints using the modern technology @ certain Trade Paint Outlets...allegedly ;) :LOL: Not that I would ever infringe a colour copyright, or deprive a quality manufacturer of their legitimate profits

You have been wrongly warned..

The only way a paint will change colour over a filler is if that filler contains a high amount of alkali..ie cement based, like exterior filler....the dark grey stuff.

Give it a coat if thinned out oil based undercoat or alkali resisting primer if you like..but personally i wouldnt worry.

Buy a tin of cheap red paint and coat the walls with that first...doing it with whire was a waste of time.

Sponsored Links
We`ve got a deep red chimney breast, and no patches of filler coming thru after a year :confused: Was the paint Barrow+ Fall ;) I`ve heard that the colours can be copied pretty accurately into cheaper paints using the modern technology @ certain Trade Paint Outlets...allegedly ;) :LOL: Not that I would ever infringe a colour copyright, or deprive a quality manufacturer of their legitimate profits

You don't happen to work for a certain trade centre do you ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back