Painting over Glossed Woodwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to pain over my wooden door architraves. They are currently painted with a shiny gloss which I assume is oil based. I wish to pain over it using water based satinwood finish.

I was simply going to sand the architrave to remove the shiny gloss sheen, apply a water based undercoat and then the water based satinwood. Is that the way to do it or should I look to remove the gloss first with a chemical deglosser or heat paint stripper?

thanks
sanjay

Sponsored Links
I was simply going to sand the architrave to remove the shiny gloss sheen, apply a water based undercoat and then the water based satinwood. Is that the way to do it

Yes....that should be fine mate.

hi folks,

just being this thread back to life as I'm planning the same. assuming the advice is still valid?

also have a few knots bleeding though from the 20 year old gloss. can i assume its safe to lightly sand and paint over rather than strip right back and use knotting solution.

planning on using a dark grey colour over the yellowing white gloss.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old thread alert.

Use zinsser BIN to stop knots and will act as an adhesion primer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back