Painting over lining paper that ends in middle of wall!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have been asked to paint a wall which has had a damp problem. They have stripped off the damp section of lining paper and now there is a bit of lining paper that ends in the middle of the wall.

Has any one got any ideas of how to get rid of/reduce the line so it is not as visible once its been painted. Was thinking of just using a filler on the edge buy any other suggestions would be great.

Many thanks

Matt

Sponsored Links
also, the underling problem causing the damp has been taken away. So its just a case of making the wall look good now, I have offered to re line it but the didn't seem to keen so im just painting it.

Paint the area where the join is first with a slightly thinned coat of emulsion and allow to dry. You can then apply a good quality fine surface or lightweight filler to feather in the rough edge.
Painting the area first will allow the filler to be smoothed out better as you apply it and also allow you to sand the filler easier, all without the risk of damaging the edge of the paper. After sanding, apply some more of the thinned emulsion to the filler before your topcoat/s ;)

Thanks for the responce, I did attemp to do this and it looks okay now. Not helped by the fact the womem bought all purpose ready mixed filler that takes 24 hours to dry, oh well we will see what happens haha.

Nice one!

Sponsored Links
Not helped by the fact the womem bought all purpose ready mixed filler that takes 24 hours to dry
Which women/woman?

And why does their gender have anything to do with it?! Seems to me as though you're looking for someone to blame!:LOL:

Sending others (men, women, children dogs and especially teenagers) to buy materials for you always ends in tears, in my experience, unless you hand them the old packet (or whatever) and say: 'Get this and nothing else, please. Ring me from the shop if they haven't got it and let me speak to the manager so I can agree on an alternative'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back