Painting over metallic effects

alj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Im redecorating my bathroom and the walls have a metallic gold paint effect on them. Is there something I can do to essentially seal this effect in so that it doesn't come through with time (it had also been done in another room and six months after redecorating that, it has come through).
Some places suggest using pva and then painting on top of that, others say that pva and paint really don't go well together.
Suggestions would be appreciated...

Sponsored Links
Do you have the exact make of the paint ?

If so, whats the instructions on it ?

Oky.

What paint did you use in the other room ?( i.e. Name, Make & Instructions etc......)

Sponsored Links
The other room was originally blue with the gold metallic paint effects on top (as said no idea make etc of them). I put on two base coats to cover this - I can't remember exactly what it was, either dulux matt white or dulux once matt white (I think the latter), then two further coats of dulux rich matt natural hessian.

When you're talking about instructions, are you assuming that I used something specific to the task rather than naively assuming the above would be sufficient to cover it up permanently?

I ask "Instructions" cos paint makers have in the past, "changed there wordings".

In terms sealing the stains, well there are loads of stain blockers out there, which work well only in certain situations.

This situation you are in is the worst case scenario cos some paints do not "think" of longerterm problems when overcoated.

Is the metalic paint all over the walls or just in small sections ?

NB Do not PVA near your walls....................

Id always go for either an oil based or shellac based stain block over anything like that...'gold' paint is normally either bronze or copper and may go green if it comes into contact with a water based coating...and that will bleed through.

Cheers for that. Unfortunately it's all over the walls rather than just sections of it - it looks like it has been put on by dabbing with a sponge

Its probably 'carried' in a water based gaze then of some sorts..

Try a test patch first with your emulsion..give the walls a good rub down too before you start.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back