Painting over mould from condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a slight bit of mould caused by condensation in my bathroom, around the top of the window frame. I suspect it's from before the double-glazing was installed a couple of years ago, as it hasn't got any worse in the 10 months I've lived in the flat. Anyway, I'm about the have the bathroom done, and the bit where the mould is will be skimmed and re-painted, not tiled. Should I treat this with something before it is skimmed by the plasterer, or can I simply wash it off and it will go away? I'm worried that it might seep through the skim layer and the paint....

Sponsored Links
you can kill mould with bleach. Once dead it will clean off easily. However unless you have cured the condensation it will come back.

Improved ventilation, such as a fan used for a longer period after using the bath or shower, is the usual remedy. Moisture will contine to come from damp towels for a long time after use.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/building:condensation_in_houses

Thanks for the response. The condensation problem is I think from before we moved in, as it hasn't got worse in the time we've lived there. We have double glazing and a large size window, which we usually open when we have long baths, etc. Hopefully it shouldn't come back!

i'm having a similar problem with both my living room and bedroom walls. The mold is below the window in both rooms, not sure if its due to damp, poor ventilation or what. All suggestions greatfully received.

Sponsored Links
I had the same problem with my flat.

The walls were very cold and especially behind wardrobes and the sofa, mould was developing.

I used the polysirene rolls (think it is called warmaline) to cover walls. This makes the walls warmer.

then lined over and painted

I had the same problem with my flat.

The walls were very cold and especially behind wardrobes and the sofa, mould was developing.

I used the polysirene rolls (think it is called warmaline) to cover walls. This makes the walls warmer.

then lined over and painted

I've got the same problem. how did you get on with using the Warmaline ?
I'd like to know what it's like to use and if it sorted the problem for you.

yeah did this work???? my house is dosnt have cavity walls and has massive problems with cold walls attracting mould.

i was thinking of building stud walls to take the inner walls away from the cold outer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back