Painting over oil based gloss with water based gloss?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a caretaker and I've got a load of doors to paint at a school. We're wanting to use a water based paint from Crown Paints for low odour.

Is it OK to paint over the oil based paints?

Sponsored Links
Primary concern should be, will it stay on the surface and not peel off if scratched off.

I'd say a standard undercoat should be applied prior to painting your water based paint, but then you mentioned a school, so the high hand traffic is gonna be a concern, so I'd recommend you leave the floss paint on bit sand off the gloss so you at the least get a 'key' for your paint to stick into to.

Try a this process in one corner of the door, and look at the end result, and see it works for that environment.

Primary concern should be, will it stay on the surface and not peel off if scratched off.

I'd say a standard undercoat should be applied prior to painting your water based paint, but then you mentioned a school, so the high hand traffic is gonna be a concern, so I'd recommend you leave the floss paint on bit sand off the gloss so you at the least get a 'key' for your paint to stick into to.

Try a this process in one corner of the door, and look at the end result, and see it works for that environment.

Thanks. Yes I'll definitely be sanding all paintwork beforehand. Is there not a undercoat out there for this kind of thing?

I have some gloss woodwork to paint over with satin too - tho only a few door frames/windowsills , not a whole school! My neighbour has recommended using Zinsser Bin Primer, to give the satin something to stick to. Said I should sand it down a bit first, then paint this on and then undercoat and satin as normal.

Does anyone else have any experience with this or something similar?

Sponsored Links

Thanks. Yes I'll definitely be sanding all paintwork beforehand. Is there not a undercoat out there for this kind of thing?

Quality undercoat from your local hardware store like Screwfix.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/leyland-t...p=Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area2&_requestid=98759

If you can get hold of a detail orbital sander, you'll find it easier on the hands.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...|rnd:17997342278882278982|dvc:t|adp:1o4|bku:1

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back