Painting over polyfilla / PVA splashes and Johnsons paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've had our whole house boarded and skimmed. We've done the mist coat with Johnsons contract matt 15% watered down. After doing this alot of imperfections showed up:

1. We are polyfillering blemishes with the stuff you mix yourself. However when we come to emulsion over it (using Johnsons matt cover plus not watered down) the top fine layer of the polyfilla comes off (the polyfilla is fully dry). Should we be priming all polyfilled areas first? And if so with what and any advice on how not to leave brush marks would be great.

2. Some walls were skimmed in an ad hoc sequence due to windows needing fitting etc. On some walls that were skimmed at a later date, it looks like PVA has splashed on the adjoining walls. We didn't spot these till we did the mist coat but now we have cases where the paint has not taken to the PVA splashes and the walls have little marks on them. We can live with this as you would have to be pedantic to notice them except for one wall where it is covered in these marks in a 4 sq mtr area. We have polyfilled and sanded but the marks are still visible after a coat of paint and looks very bad. Is there anyway of sorting this or is the best option to line that wall with lining paper?

3. We are using Johnsons paint. In the past we have used Dulux and never had a problem with roller marks. Using Johnsons the finish does look quite patchy whent he light catches it. Is Dulux better at for the DIYer not to leave roller marks? As when we do the 2nd coat we can swap to Dulux (is that ok to do?)

Thanks

John

Sponsored Links
The johnstones cova plus should be thinned at least 10% to seal the pollyfila. The polyfilla is porous like bare plaster and will absorb too much water from neat paint so we have to add extra water

The coverplus is v good. Im using it myself on a large staircase.. It being a proper trade type vinyl it is thick and needs to be thinned for ease of application, the brush marks you describe may be cos youre using it neat.. try thinning a by 1lt water to 5 paint ( maybe more on dry lining) as an example the walls I am painting are old emulsion and solid(non porous) and I still have my emulsion thinned which allows paint to flow, brush and roller marks dissapear.. peeps think I sprayed it :cool: You may still get the brush marks with dulux if you dont thin down paint on dry new plaster work. Myself I like to keep to one brand throughout.. mist an all.
Presume the plaster is all completely dry! as the cova plus is a vinyl...ok on dry plaster.
Oh the spots!!.. possibly from the plasterer(bless im) when he was wetting down and fatty solids brought to surface.. easiest way is with some oil based undercoat, thin with a little white spirit and touch in each spot making sure to feather out to blend, if there is loads do the whole wall, maybe better then to use simething like zinsser 123.
Good luck.

Thanks for the advice.

We will water down the paint and see if this makes it spread better.

When watering down if you use different amounts of water, say on one lot you water it down by 15% and the next lot you water down a bit out, say 12% - will this end up being visible on the final finish?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back