Painting over tiger lines

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all.

Last year I had my fireplace opened up and a woodburner put in. The company who did the work also plastered the chimney breast. Not long after painting it, 3/4 lines have shown through the paint. At first I thought it might be salts coming through as I would wipe it, they'd disappear but then reappear a short time later.

With having a bit of spare time I thought I'd try and rectify the issue, so I sanded off the paint back to bare plaster and underneath there are several light lines.

It's not a big area, it's a small patch at the bottom near the hearth. I've sanded down a bit to see if it would go but would appear to go deeper and I don't want to sand too far.

Is there anything I can do that would make these go? Would a very fine coat of filler over the top help?

I've attached a picture for reference.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 15881551680055632350718215464432.jpg
    15881551680055632350718215464432.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 421
Sponsored Links
Please post pics showing more context for the front face of the c/breast, an pics of the c/breast return cheeks?

Please post pics showing more context for the front face of the c/breast, an pics of the c/breast return cheeks?

Here are a couple more pictures for you. Not sure what you mean by return cheeks, unless you mean the inside of where the burner sits?

Hope these help.

Attachments

• 15881862510873329697195052694633.jpg
    15881862510873329697195052694633.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 435
  • 15881863043503508534332269222753.jpg
    15881863043503508534332269222753.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 369
Sponsored Links
Besides Tiger Lines, I was looking for any flaking or bubbling anywhere at low level around the chimney breast.
I dont see anything suspicious.
However, Tiger Lines have a number of possible causes, typically trowel dragging comes last after various more fundamental errors have taken place.
An exception would have been if a brand new steel trowel was used for the first time.

OP, if more than that small patch was plastered then its possible that there could be other areas of lines?
Thing is, sometimes paint obscures them but damp will sometimes bring them out.
Keep sanding but know that, even if you only sand down a few mm's, you will then have to use a filler for a respectable patch paint job.

Cheeks are the two outside return walls of the c/breast.

Besides Tiger Lines, I was looking for any flaking or bubbling anywhere at low level around the chimney breast.
I dont see anything suspicious.
However, Tiger Lines have a number of possible causes, typically trowel dragging comes last after various more fundamental errors have taken place.
An exception would have been if a brand new steel trowel was used for the first time.

OP, if more than that small patch was plastered then its possible that there could be other areas of lines?
Thing is, sometimes paint obscures them but damp will sometimes bring them out.
Keep sanding but know that, even if you only sand down a few mm's, you will then have to use a filler for a respectable patch paint job.

Cheeks are the two outside return walls of the c/breast.

The whole front of the breast around the opening was plastered. There were 2 small bubbles of paint, both about the size of a 2p piece so very localised, one to the right of the lines and one on the other side. I've sanded them back and no lines underneath. The plastering was done this time last year so kind of put up with it over winter and with being off work now, decided to try and sort it out.

Tram lines we call them, happens when your trowel hits a dry patch.
No big deal if you catch them in your next pass.
Tiger stripes are caused by over use of water when polishing, they paint out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200429-222340_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20200429-222340_Google.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 1,308
Last edited:
OP,
Bubbling is often an indication of underlying damp/salts penetration, so perhaps keep an eye on the face and cheeks of your c/breast.

Inside the fireplace opening - am i looking at the original brickwork or decorative brick slips? It looks very nice, by the way.

OP,
Bubbling is often an indication of underlying damp/salts penetration, so perhaps keep an eye on the face and cheeks of your c/breast.

Inside the fireplace opening - am i looking at the original brickwork or decorative brick slips? It looks very nice, by the way.

Hi there, apologies for the long delay in replying. Was off furlough not long after I posted and with home schooling etc I lost track of time.

They are decorative slips inside as the original bricks weren't the best.

I did sand back left it a week or so and redid the paint and lo the marks came back. I need to get some other plastering done in the house by my usual plasterer so will get his thoughts as the people who did the log burner did the plastering.

lee666,
Sorry that the advice you've been given turned out to be so accurate - so forget about sanding and re-painting the in-situ plaster.
Thing is, that its best practice to use a sand and lime render on chimney breasts & not to use gypsum which has been used and failed on your c/breast.
How far you go is up to you but you could hack off and get the plasterer to render the areas in question?

Last edited:
I need to get some other plastering done in the house by my usual plasterer so will get his thoughts as the people who did the log burner did the plastering.
By far the best idea.(y)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back