Painting over varnish....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and after reading posts for the last couple of hours I can definitely see that I'm not on my own. In our lounge/dining we have a 30m² varnished pine ceiling. This work was done in the mid 70's and there's no cracking or peeling. What we would like is to paint the ceiling white. Does anyone out there know of a way to do this without having to remove the varnish totally. The ceiling has 100mm wide boards but every 70mm is a 30mm recess running the length of the ceiling. Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi Slick,

now theres a coincidence, as from tomorrow im doing actually the same job that your looking at!

Now the way i see it youv got a few options, some more expensive than orthers..but in in all cases you have to abrade the wood very well first.

you can then use a product called Superdec Opaque woodstain by Sadolin, it comes in differant colours plus Super white. 2 coats of this should do it, but as i said it is a little expensive, 5 litres is around 55 quid plus vat.

Another option which is where im going is to use one coat of Dulux Supergrip first which is a water based, multi-surface primer, then a couple of coats of Acrylic Eggshell, which has a mid sheen finish.

Any other suggestions welcome!

Ill keep you posted how i get on. ;)

papergirl said:
Hi Slick,

now theres a coincidence, as from tomorrow im doing actually the same job that your looking at!

Now the way i see it youv got a few options, some more expensive than orthers..but in in all cases you have to abrade the wood very well first.

you can then use a product called Superdec Opaque woodstain by Sadolin, it comes in differant colours plus Super white. 2 coats of this should do it, but as i said it is a little expensive, 5 litres is around 55 quid plus vat.

Another option which is where im going is to use one coat of Dulux Supergrip first which is a water based, multi-surface primer, then a couple of coats of Acrylic Eggshell, which has a mid sheen finish.

Any other suggestions welcome!

Ill keep you posted how i get on. ;)

Now where have you have that from P/G? ;)

Sponsored Links
P/G and Zampa, thanks. I've been sitting here reading old but very informative posts (got to page 34). Great forum. I came across the post that I think you two are referring to. We are still a couple of weeks from taking over our house so I have a bit of time up my sleeve but I would be really interested in knowing how you get along Papergirl. Another question. What grit sand paper are you looking at using ? I can go with a machine on the raised areas but it's the recesses that are going to be the real pain. Thanks again..... Kev.

Id do it by hand Kev...youl find the tongue and groove ceiling is uneven and the machine sander will scim over certain part missing them.

Id go for a 80 grit abrasive paper...pay particualr attention to the edges..thats where the paint will be most likely to peel back due to the surface tension of the paint

slick50 said:
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and after reading posts for the last couple of hours I can definitely see that I'm not on my own. In our lounge/dining we have a 30m² varnished pine ceiling. This work was done in the mid 70's and there's no cracking or peeling. What we would like is to paint the ceiling white. Does anyone out there know of a way to do this without having to remove the varnish totally. The ceiling has 100mm wide boards but every 70mm is a 30mm recess running the length of the ceiling. Any help greatly appreciated.
Dulux Supergrip cannot be used on previously varnished surfaces, as it will eventualy lose adhesion. The best product to use is "Zamix Coverseal" but make sure you wash & abrade wood prior to coating with recomended product.

Third_Eye said:
slick50 said:
Dulux Supergrip cannot be used on previously varnished surfaces, as it will eventualy lose adhesion. The best product to use is "Zamix Coverseal" but make sure you wash & abrade wood prior to coating with recomended product.

I disagree http://www.duluxtrade.co.uk/webapp/.../DTBUK/Specifiers/Products/datasheets/309.pdf

although it doesnt mention varnish as such it does however, state that it can be used over old gloss...which isnt much different to varnish...after all all varnish is, is the paint without the pigment.

And it says you can use it over ceramic tiles..so i would think it was fine to use it over prepped varnish

The only reason i know 'Dulux Supergrip' does not work on varnish "Zampa" is cause i was going to use it but due to me repeating the importance of reading all instructions before using a product (including further info i.e pdf format) i decided to contact Dulux & they got back to me explaining that 'Dulux Supergrip' does not work on varnish & they advized for me to strip all varnish.

Hmmm...interesting, ive just done the same...been trying to think of a situation where I have used supergrip on varnish..I know I have but I cant think where...

I'll probably get a call from an irate customer tomorrow saying her paint is peeling!

I have howver used it on stain such as sadolin, sikkens etc and its set solid...still going strong after many years.

I cant see why it wont work on well rubbed down varnish, its does the same job as melamine primer and thats a virtually sealed surface

We have to remember here...Dulux will aways go back to the book with these types of questions...try asking them if its ok to use thinned out undercoat as a wood primer...they will always say 'no'...but lets face it, we all know different.

I have dropped them an email tonight...I'll let you know what they come back with

'Thirds'...where can this Zamix stuff be had?...ive neither seen or heard of it down here before...looked on the web and found a few merchants all scotland way...

How did the colur washing go btw?

Thanks for asking "Zampa" about colourwashing. It went a treat, to be honest i am trying to guide most clients to colourwashing as i experience just to many flawed finish wallcoverings. I gave a cieling 8m by 4m in size two coats of PBW Acrylic Eggshell, followed by a mix of vinyl matt in a soft yellow shade mixed with Craig & Rose Acrylic Slow Setting Scumble. Once applied i used the same method that is used when creating an Broken Leather effect when artexing. It changes it's look during the day and night. In other words it looks like two different decorating results in daylight & nightlight. Also, you can get Zamix at http://www.yahoomediawebdesign.co.uk/rjrusselldecorators/paints.htm Am sending you the Zamix booklet to you via e-mail just now.

Thanks for the input t_e, Zampa. I am about to go out on a product search. As you can see I am over in Germany. Finding equivalent products over here can be a little complicated (too much technology, too many experts, too many opinions and too exspensive :LOL: ). Dulux I don't think will be a problem and I'll try to find Zamix and Sadolin. I'll keep you posted. Please let me know what comes out of the 'Dulux Supergrip' investigation Zampa. Papergirl said that she was about to take off on a project using the same product..... Kev...

The thing about painting over varnish "slick50" is that in old houses you are forever coming across white paint that has loast adhesion that is on top of walnut stain that has been varnished over. It's a problem that is not aparant for about 20 years, then BANG it starts to lose adhesion.

What is the best product to use over what looks like a plastic looking wood effect panneling?

Half the wall is ordinary plaster wall already been painted, but the other half has the plastic stuff on it, they want it covered up with emulsion to match the wall.

I need to know what is the best stuff, and has anyone painted over this stuff with no comebacks, and roughly how much the product would cost.

Its a very old house, but the plastic paneling looks like a 60s or 70s throwback, as I have never come across this before, wood panneling I have, but not this.

I would use Zamix Coverseal or Blockout or Superprime, but make sure you wash down with diluted sugar soap prior to bonding with Zamix. Then, i would NOT use Vinyl Matt or any Matt as it will not flex with plastic surfaces. I would go for vinyl soft sheen or Vinyl Silk on top of Zamix as vinyl soft sheen or Vinyl Silk dries in flexible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back