Painting over varnish....

Third_Eye, I checked out the local suppliers here for the products you guys mentioned but only drew blank looks. I've searched on the internet for German suppliers and also no luck. The problem is that things get named different here and not everything translates word for word. I'll keep searching, there's got to be something. Thanks for your help...Kev...

Sponsored Links
slick50 said:
Third_Eye, I checked out the local suppliers here for the products you guys mentioned but only drew blank looks. I've searched on the internet for German suppliers and also no luck. The problem is that things get named different here and not everything translates word for word. I'll keep searching, there's got to be something. Thanks for your help...Kev...
Click here and go to Z http://www.bozzle.co.uk/i_GlossaryXYZ.html#Z OR contact these people who will give you Zamix Salesman Tel No http://www.rjrusselldecorators.co.uk/

Hmm I've been wondering if Owatrol ESP might help? Myself I have only had chance to use it on some ceramic tiles, (impressed) but thought I might give it a go next time I get a varnish tp paint project.
Check it out here

http://www.drclean.co.uk/Retail_DrClean/PaintNRust.asp

Might be what you need too spice???

good luck

Thanks third eye for your suggestions, most helpfull. :D
Thanks to you also CC, you mentioning ESP reminded me that I have used ESP on melamine wardrobes prior to painting, its doesnt look like the one shown in your link, in comes in a metel screwtop container, and its like water, would that work on the plastic wood panelling?

Sponsored Links
spice said:
Thanks third eye for your suggestions, most helpfull. :D
Thanks to you also CC, you mentioning ESP reminded me that I have used ESP on melamine wardrobes prior to painting, its doesnt look like the one shown in your link, in comes in a metel screwtop container, and its like water, would that work on the plastic wood panelling?

Reckon it will work on plastic, according to data..... Not meeee ;)

Made me find out owatrol site and it def says ok for plastic, It's water based now, though I have to say I hav'nt used it only on some extra glossy tiles and was impressed andat the time it struck me that this may be helpfull where a lot of intricate rubbin down, varnish to paint etc. But the 2 hr waitin time for it to dry means I wont be using it generaly, nothin like a quick rub over and a wash n u/c and gloss... but dont tell that growler :LOL:

http://www.owatrol.com/

Why are my urls a dull blue??? when others are a vivid blu :confused:

Thanks again for the input guys. Confidentincompetent (that's a name), I had no trouble finding the Owatrol range here in Germany. Came up with five different suppliers just in my area. If I do go with that I will still sand first to give it something to key into. Thanks.....Kev...

slick50 said:
Thanks again for the input guys. Confidentincompetent (that's a name), ...

Yep :LOL: Nickname @ local plumbase it's a long story :rolleyes:

Hey Slick..

Just to keep you updated on that painting over varnish job i mentioned..
Finished it this week..gave ceilings a through abrading then used the Dulux supergrip as mentioned before....covered realy well... then gave it 2 coats of Acrylic eggshell .. looks good so far... will check back in 20 years to see if its still ok ay third eye ;)

i also checked with the people in the deci shop about going over varnish with the supagrip and they reckoned there should be no problem!

I understand "papergirl" but the thing about supergrip is, on there instructions and further info on pdf via the net, they do not write that varnish is one the materials that supergrip can be applied onto. Therefore, leaving the decorator "piggy in the middle" so to speak. However, Zamix claims on there leaflet that it can be used on varnish. Also, "papergirl" i am writing this reply in the way that i am as i am looking out for a fellow decorator and not the paint makers, who at the end of the day pay top lawyers to write litreture on there tins & pdf.

I also understand where your coming from "Third eye" but, until the manufactures of a product specifically inform me by way of written information either on the tin or any written information that i cannot ] use their product over a certain substrate then i will go ahead and do what is recomended, so far "Third eye" you, are the only one to tell me otherwise. Also if Zampa claims that he has read on their leaflet that it can be used over varnish then i have no cause to doubt him.

Oky dooky. But lets take an example, say Dulux Trade Undercoat (Oil Based) for one & they give recomendations on how to generaly prepare & where to apply on most surfaces ! I ask myself ! When any paint maker uses a word "most" in there ltreture then what does this word mean when used in mentioned sentence ! What it means is they are not saying where it cannot be used and can be used. In other words there will be no come back because they used an inefenate clause word being "most". Me personaly have experienced many disputes with wordings of paints on further info instructions with the paint makers. Some reply & some stonewall. One example is a certain paint maker sells a product that is an oil based in a flat finish for walls and cielings. This product was used over an oil based eggshell. Followed all the paint makers instructions and then bang 3 month later the flat oil paint started flake around/above all radiators. Still to this day i have been stonewalled, at my cost.

papergirl said:
I also understand where your coming from "Third eye" but, until the manufactures of a product specifically inform me by way of written information either on the tin or any written information that i cannot ] use their product over a certain substrate then i will go ahead and do what is recomended, so far "Third eye" you, are the only one to tell me otherwise. Also if Zampa claims that he has read on their leaflet that it can be used over varnish then i have no cause to doubt him.

Its not on the leaflet...I had an email from Dulux...the PDF file didnt go into that much detail.

The issue with the varnish was not adhesion but bleeding...but Dulux didnt mention either on their sheets..they could have easily stated that knots should be treated prior to the supergrip going on...but no.

Ive always said its down to the person you speak to sometimes..

But one things for sure they always go 'back to the book' when quoting information...take the undercoat scenaRIO...we all know that undercoat will do just fine when used as a primer...but Dulux, or any other paint company wont even admit it

So much is down to the wording...and they wont guarentee any paint system unless it is stripped back to bare and done using their products only, and if something did go wrong they would still say it was the fault of the painter in many case's

Heres a gem for you...I had some bare wood to do on some fasica boards about 8 years ago..time was a problem so..

1 coat of thinned out pliolite masonry paint as a primer

2 normal coats of the same..

1 coat of gloss..

Still solid to this day!..

Put that on ya data sheet mr D.Ulux!

Hey Papergirl it's good to hear everythings going OK. With the information you guys have given me it's set me on the right track. I've found quite a few German products now I know what I'm looking for. Just gotta get out and talk to a few trade suppliers. Thanks again... Kev...

papergirl said:
Your welcome Slick..most deckis (and Zampa) will be glad to help ;)

Good luck with your project!

:evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back