Painting over wallpaper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand there are primers you can use to make this a lot smoother job in terms of no wallpaper bubbling as the emulsion wets through the paper. Are these primers you can buy in DIY stores, and are they marketed for other uses? A wander round a couple of stores this afternoon didn't show anything specifically for this purpose.
I realise that painting might not optimum, but ..... the alternative is removing the wallpaper and the lining paper and replastering :(

Sponsored Links
I'd go for the alternative if I were you. The original idea will always look a bodge job and if you don't like it it'll be hell trying to get the painted wallpaper off.

However, if you must do it, then a simple cheap oil based primer will do what you ask.

Seconded..if it doesnt work its going to look like a disaster area and make the wallpaper very hard to strip.

I dont know nor ever known a decorator who would dream of doing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back