Painting Plasterboard Advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. New to this forum and already engrossed in reading posts and replies. My husband and Iare terrible at DIY (rather lazy and prone to cut corners) and very inexperienced. I'm really trying to make a go of redecorating our new house and want to get it right this time.

I have recently stripped the hallway of old paper down to the bare plasterboard. I know this question has been asked a lot but some of the replies confused me as I am not aware of some of the terminology used.

What is the best way now to proceed with painting? The plasterboard is in good condition, with very few dents or holes and is apparantly quite smooth. Can I just use two layers of paint or should I 'prime' the walls first?

Although I'm aware it will give a neater finish, I am really really reluctant to line the walls and would prefer to skip this process if possible.

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you really mean plasterboard?

Like this:
plastering.jpg

Or do you mean pink plaster/skim?

Do you really mean plasterboard?

Or do you mean pink plaster/skim?

aha I think I mean the pink plaster skim. It's a nice smooth finish slightly pinkish/browny colour.

I've got to admit :oops: that I've already got started. I'm very keen! I've painted a base coat of matt emulsion which has dried and left a lovely smooth surface in preparation for the final coat. I hope this is the right thing!

Well you should really have thinned the first coat down by half and then a second coat by a quarter followed by a third coat.

Bit late now though. Oh well, hope it turns out good.

Sponsored Links
Well you should really have thinned the first coat down by half and then a second coat by a quarter followed by a third coat.

Bit late now though. Oh well, hope it turns out good.

Ok thanks. I realise it's too late now.

Out of interet what is the benefit of thinning paint down?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back