painting plastic ducting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Does anyone have any tips on painting emulsion onto plastic (upvc?) ducting? I had a new central heating system put in a couple of years ago and the pipework in the hallway had to be run down the wall. The plumbers ran it neatly in some plastic ducting but now I've come to redecorate I'd like to paint it to blend in with the walls. Can you emulsion this stuff and, if so, does it need to be primed with anything special?

The emulsion that the previous owner daubed all over the upvc door frame seems to have stuck very well on its own!! :(

Sponsored Links
Most trunking is paintable and can be emulsioned without prep. The first coat will be a bit patchy but the tip is to apply several thin coats, allowing to dry between each, rather than one or two thick coats which can cause the paint to crack and peel when the pipes get hot. Some will say to give a very light sanding with fine wet and dry paper to provide a key, which would be fine, but I've never found this necessary.

Emulsion over upvc will not pass the "finger nail" scratch test if painted with emulsion. If it does not need to be scratch resistant then fine. If it does then lightly abrade it first. It will still not be ideal but the adhesion will be better.

Sponsored Links
opps. On a different subject I read that big long post you made this morning. Very good. Heaven knows why it was deleted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back