Painting plywood edges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting some cupboards up and fixing them to playwood backboards. I want to paint the plywood edging the same colour as the walls but I've been told that those edges are extremely porous. I've thought about this and have some No Nonesense wood filler from screwfix and some Gorilla wood glue.

I could paint the edges witht he glue (which drys clear) which would seal them I guess or I could appy some filler to the edges and then lightly rub down.

Which solution seems best to you guys? Or is there a better one?

Sponsored Links
you don't say how thick the ply is.

you could attach some stripwood to the edge, maybe flat, maybe half round.

Ordinary woodglue, and a few small pins to hold the ends while it dries.

if you have a sharp plane you can shave the edges of the edging down flush (if necessary)

undersize boards made up with hardwood strips.
or
Same size Ply treated on the edges with several coats of varnish, earlier ones diluted with turps/water depending on varnish.
then paint.
or
same as you suggested - I filled and sanded (several times) edges with a filler before paint.

you don't say how thick the ply is.

you could attach some stripwood to the edge, maybe flat, maybe half round.

Ordinary woodglue, and a few small pins to hold the ends while it dries.

if you have a sharp plane you can shave the edges of the edging down flush (if necessary)

The ply is 18mm

Sponsored Links
Couple of options sand them back to 250grit paper and paint, if they are still not quite up to scratch then fill and sand back again

Strip of timber glued/pinned to the edge as JohnD says. Plenty of places sell this (wood yards and the big name places). If it's too wide, just run it (or have it ran) through a table saw.

I had this in a similar scenario and just had the strip cut to size - took no time.

stripwooding edges is all well and good but it does show when painting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back