Painting prep problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The wife thought it would be nice to have everything white. Walls, ceilings, woodwork, the lot.
I've done most of it and now I've got to the stairs. Didn't fancy painting 150 staircase spindles and the bottom rail needed to be raised 10mm on the landing so it ended up higher than the proposed landing floor covering. So I've bought new spindles and sorted the rail.

The thing is, Those banisters have been subjected to years of wax polish, not to mention human traffic. The colour is by the Ronseal mahogany stain/varnish.
My question is, what will remove all the wax polish? I've tried the de-greaser stuff but it doesn't touch it but I don't really want to stink the place out using thinners. Meths maybe? Thanks. S

Sponsored Links
Clean. mechanical sand. Shellac primer. Paint. Really needs spraying though as I could not not face hand painting that. Some take apart and send to be dipped.

Wayners. Thanks for the input. There use to be a firm in Rochester that did that dipping but long gone now. Plus it would be near impossible to take it all to bits. Spraying is out as well. I bet that Shellac stuff has a pong to it but I'll give it a try if I can find it. So far, the only stuff that gets near to getting it of has been isopropinal but its a bit dangerous using that! Takes the stain off as well though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back