Painting problems - help please?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I have just bought a new house and am in the process of getting it renovated etc. I have decided to start painting the kitchen (just around the units area where extractor etc is going as it'll be easier than painting it afterwards) and I think I've made a bit of a mistake! I bought some Dulux Brilliant White Matt paint and painted one coat on the ceiling (new plasterboard with skimming of plaster). I used a ratio of 50% water/ 50% paint (my first mistake I think!). I have also painted a wall with the same ratio. Basically what I want to know is - how do I fix this? do I need to paint dulux plaster sealer over this? or paint a ratio of 80% paint/ 20% water over this and then apply a final 100% coat?

Also, as it is the kitchen I believe I should use a semi-gloss on the walls/ceiling so I can clean them - am I ok to paint a semi-gloss coat over my first two watered down matt coats? (aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!)

Lastly, my fiancee decided to paint an arch with the same watered down coat and she left some bumps etc on (unbelievable!). Do I just chisel/sand them off and touch them up with the same watered down coat?

Thanks for your help, to be honest I'll probably get a professional in to do the rest of the painting (ceilings at least) as we were both shattered after the weekend and I think I was a bit out of my diy depth :)

Sponsored Links
could be worse :LOL: @ least you used a watery paint rather than a thick one ;) You may find a pro decorators supply warehouse is helpfull....our local one is to DIY`ers and if they`re not, walk away ;) they`ll recommend a paint for the kitchen and Glass Paper ;) or Aluminium Oxide paper of a suitable grade to prep/remove bumps

thanks for replying. Does it matter that my first coat was too thin? can't I just paint another coat over it (but 80% paint/ 20% water this time) and then paint on a final coat or two (100% paint)?

I assume I can, but I just don't want to paint more over the original 50/50 paint/water coat if it's going to make it worse (crack/bubble etc)?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it! I want to try and get the room painted at the weekend so any help is much appreciated. We used Dulux pure brilliant white, rich matt if that helps?

and just to reiterate, the walls/ceiling I'm painting are just plasterboard which have then been plastered over - I don't know if that makes a difference?

Painting isn't rocket science. You can't go wrong really. It's not going to bubble up. Try 80% followed by 100% and see how it looks.

Sponsored Links
If you have applied Dulux Rich Matt over New Plaster then i am afraid you are gona have alot of problems in the future due to your choice of Paint.

Dulux Rich Matt CANNOT be used ANY New/Bare Porous Surfaces.

Sure you "can" use Dulux Rich Matt in circumstances mentioned above but you WILL have longterm problems.

ok, thanks! I'll just have to risk it, the plaster had been drying for about 2 months and it was on plasterboard so I'm hoping it's dried out and that the rich matt won't do too much damage! The other question is: now that I've put an undercoat of rich matt on, can I paint over it in semi-gloss as a topcoat? or can I not mix the two? it's just I read that the kitchen should have a semi-gloss coat so it can be cleaned etc?

Don`t mix different paints ....and don`t worry about "special" finishes for kitchens ;) just stick with the matt

joe-90 said:
Painting isn't rocket science. You can't go wrong really. It's not going to bubble up. Try 80% followed by 100% and see how it looks.

What are these forums for then? :LOL:

Thanks for all your help. From what I can gather (various forums etc) the 50/50 paint/water split was probably ok! Although Third Eye seems to think the Rich Matt is a problem, no one else has mentioned it so I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that it'll be ok. After hopefully navigating that near disaster, I may have gone and totally messed things up! At the weekend (a week after applying the 50/50 matt and about 2.5 months after plasterboard was put in/skimmed) we painted the ceiling with a 'silk' paint, as we thought it was the way to go in the kitchen. I then discovered (typical!) that quite a few people seem to say NOT to use silk for about 6-9 months!!! DAMN IT! is this only true with vinyl silk? or even water based silk? the guy at Dulux told me it was ok to use? Also, the plaster does appear to be pretty dry and my miscoat will hopefully have sealed it anyway?

We haven't painted silk on the walls yet, so any advice would be most welcome. I may stick with matt on the walls but I do quite like the idea of a very bright kitchen (spotlights etc) so may go for the silk on the walls too as it's easier to clean.

Also, there are trowel marks (ridges) on the ceiling in one spot and a couple of places on the wall - is it best to use powder filler and if so, how do I use it?

Lastly, I've stripped paint in the bedroom and am looking to sand the skirting boards/doors etc, what is the best paper to use? it's just I've been using a sander and seem to need to change the paper over every 5 secs!

Thanks a lot. :)

carlmc25 said:
Thanks for all your help. From what I can gather (various forums etc) the 50/50 paint/water split was probably ok! Although Third Eye seems to think the Rich Matt is a problem, no one else has mentioned it so I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that it'll be ok. After hopefully navigating that near disaster, I may have gone and totally messed things up! At the weekend (a week after applying the 50/50 matt and about 2.5 months after plasterboard was put in/skimmed) we painted the ceiling with a 'silk' paint, as we thought it was the way to go in the kitchen. I then discovered (typical!) that quite a few people seem to say NOT to use silk for about 6-9 months!!! DAMN IT! is this only true with vinyl silk? or even water based silk? the guy at Dulux told me it was ok to use? Also, the plaster does appear to be pretty dry and my miscoat will hopefully have sealed it anyway?

We haven't painted silk on the walls yet, so any advice would be most welcome. I may stick with matt on the walls but I do quite like the idea of a very bright kitchen (spotlights etc) so may go for the silk on the walls too as it's easier to clean.

Also, there are trowel marks (ridges) on the ceiling in one spot and a couple of places on the wall - is it best to use powder filler and if so, how do I use it?

Lastly, I've stripped paint in the bedroom and am looking to sand the skirting boards/doors etc, what is the best paper to use? it's just I've been using a sander and seem to need to change the paper over every 5 secs!

Thanks a lot. :)

Third Eye "seems" to "think" the rich matt is a problem and so does Dulux !

Reason being, you have applied it to an surface in which Dulux explain rich matt cannot be applied to i.e. new/bare porous surfaces.

Therefore, disagree with me and the Paint Maker if so desire !

99.99% of the time, the people who work in Dulux Trade Shops etc ARE NOT PROFESSIONAL DECORATORS !

I wasn't disagreeing with you Third Eye, just saying that no one else really seems to mention anything about Rich Matt so I'm just praying that my ceiling/walls will be ok! How will I know if they are/aren't ok? I've painted 2 coats on now and they've been drying for a few days, is there anything I can do to test if the paint is stuck? I haven't seen the ceiling since Sunday (not living at the house at the moment) but if it isn't pealing/bubbling can I just assume then I've been lucky and it's going to be alright after all?! I mean it was only a skim over plasterboard and it has been drying for months, surely (pleeeeaaaase!) it'll be ok?!

If there is some way I can check if my paint is ok then please let me know and I'll check it out at the weekend. I seriously don't want to have to sand it all off etc! I thought painting would be so easy, I wish I had've just paid a decorator now - this is all stressing me out!

Don't worry third eye WE've all been listening !!!.. I nearly did what you said not to do :D

also Thirdeye, if I have totally messed up my paint job, how can I rectify it - what do I need to do? Is it worth just getting a professional in?

Thats good "smallbob".

I hope it has saved you alot of hassle.

The problem here "carlmc25" is that i know off people using Dulux Rich Matt on new/bare artex for it all go wrong. i.e. flaking, not drying properly etc.

Same with using it on new/bare ames taped gyproc. i.e. it can come off with roller when overcoating a year or so later.

However, you are sort of "lucky" as you overthinned the Dulux Rich Matt (i.e. it is not meant to be thinned anymore than 10% IF THE WEATHER IS WARM).

So, NEVER again use Dulux Rich Matt on ANY new/bare surface.

To save your surfaces then go buy Dulux Trade Alkali Resisting Primer and apply this over your Dulux Rich Matt. Then overcoat with Dulux Trade Vinyl Soft Sheen.

OR, you can hope that there will never be an short term, medium term or long term reaction to what you have applied and overcoat your Dulux Rich Matt with Dulux Trade Vinyl Soft Sheen.

sorry to keep bothering you Third Eye! the only thing is, on the ceiling only I have applied Dulux silk over this watered down Dulux Rich Matt. Should I still paint over this with the alkali resisting primer or the Dulux Trade Vinyl Soft Sheen?

Thanks again! my girlfriend went the house yesterday and said the paint still looked fine - ie it hasnt pealed or anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back