Painting Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Please can you advise, we have stripped all the wallpaper off our bedroom walls today (3 bloody layers of the stuff!). Underneath is some paint on plaster. There are a few places where the paint has come off leaving some small bits of exposed plaster.

Is it possible to sand down lightly and smooth this out, and then put a basecoat over this? Or should we be coveringthe gaps in the paint with some sort of primer/polycell product? Apologies if this is obvious but I'm not a painter! or... should we be taking all the paint off and starting again (if this can be avoided it would be much better!!)

I was looking at the Ronseal Basecoat - would this be suitable? We would be using Dulux Once Matt as our topcoat.

Many thanks in advance!

http://img62.imageshack.us/i/imag0196i.jpg/

http://img155.imageshack.us/i/imag0195g.jpg/

Sponsored Links
The walls don't look that bad so I would use a fine surface or lightweight filler with a wide bladed filling knife or jointing knife to level out the areas that have peeled. http://www.trade1st.co.uk/category/Decorating-Knives/Plastering-Tools.aspx
Once dry, sand smooth and apply a light coat of emulsion similar to the existing colour over the repairs. I would then apply a coat of white contract matt as this will give you a nice evenly coloured surface to start work on.

You could use the filler to feather out the edges of the peeled paint and apply Basecoat, which would be the typical DIY way, but I prefer to use the method I have described.

It is advisable to wash the surface with a sugar soap solution before you start painting to remove any wallpaper paste residue, otherwise you will run into trouble.

I personally don't like Once emulsion because it is very thick, difficult to keep a wet edge with and often needs more than one coat. But hey-ho, each to their own!! ;)

The walls don't look that bad so I would use a fine surface or lightweight filler with a wide bladed filling knife or jointing knife to level out the areas that have peeled. http://www.trade1st.co.uk/category/Decorating-Knives/Plastering-Tools.aspx
Once dry, sand smooth and apply a light coat of emulsion similar to the existing colour over the repairs. I would then apply a coat of white contract matt as this will give you a nice evenly coloured surface to start work on.

You could use the filler to feather out the edges of the peeled paint and apply Basecoat, which would be the typical DIY way, but I prefer to use the method I have described.

It is advisable to wash the surface with a sugar soap solution before you start painting to remove any wallpaper paste residue, otherwise you will run into trouble.

I personally don't like Once emulsion because it is very thick, difficult to keep a wet edge with and often needs more than one coat. But hey-ho, each to their own!! ;)

Thanks very much for the advice! Will definitely take it all on board!

Walls have been washed with sugar soap, thanks!

Sponsored Links
I've ordered this now over the phone direct with branch, assume ok under dulux one coat?

It should be fine, but as I said previously I don't like the Once emulsion because it can cause a few problems with it being so thick. If you experience any trouble it shouldn't be because of the Leyland (nice paint).

You usually have to go to a decorators merchants for contract paint as most DIY stores tend to stock mainly vinyls. Contract paint doesn't contain vinyl in case you didn't know, but a vinyl is ok in your case.

Hmm, how unusual for it to be out of stock with Screwfix - NOT!! :rolleyes:

Thanks! I've used Dulux once before, and have found it ok!

Picking up the contract matt from screwfix tomorrow, can't wait to get it on and get rid of these horrible patchy walls!

Thanks a lot for your advice, no doubt I will be back at some point for more!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back