Painting Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Is there a good reason why ordinary gloss paint should not be used on radiators? I'm talking about an 800mm x 600mm rad in the bathroom. If it's to do with the efficiency of the rad would that be significantly affected?
Thank you. :D
Wontstart

Sponsored Links
It also tends to yellow with the heat. Best way is an aerosol of radiator enamel and mask up around it well.

I've painted a few radiators with non-drip gloss in the past and never had a problem. I've not used white and could see how that might yellow as I've had that happen on woodwork just from sunlight.

I used white radiator enamel on my storage heater, but that was because I could take the front off and lay it horizontal in the garage to spray it. It took a bit of practice with the spray can, rubbing down between light coats, but I got a nice finish eventually :)

Sponsored Links
It'll flake off and look crap.

:LOL: You are supposed to rub down for a key first!

wontstart
I have used ordinary paint on all my radiators and not one is a problem. It is however true that some white paints may yellow with the heat. - Use a different one next time.

Colour will affect the amount and type of heat radiated but I doubt it has much effect on convected heat.

Try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_radiation if you are really interested!

Been in the trade over 30 years and seen many people go to the trouble of stripping rads right back and using proper rad enamel paint and to be honest they get same results as the 99% of others get who haved used standard gloss paint

Been in the trade over 30 years and seen many people go to the trouble of stripping rads right back and using proper rad enamel paint and to be honest they get same results as the 99% of others get who haved used standard gloss paint

I have used both and there is little to chose between them. I certainly could not tell which ones I used radiator enamel on now as they all look OK. I think I used a spray on enamel and laid them flat because it is easy to get a run using a spray. - I would not bother again as ordinary gloss is fine.

Dan you want to get a half decent brush and tell them not to paint whilst hot or turn rad on till paint has cured

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back