Painting Rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone help me clear up some confusion. I want to paint an area of external rendering. The rendering is probably in excess of 10 yrs old and well weathered. Do i need to use a Primer, stabilising solution or Water seal prior to painting. Iv read previous posts and have found Johnstone's Stormshield Primer, Johnstone's Stormshield stabillising solution and Johnstone's Stormshield water seal. But obviosly unsure what one to use.

Sponsored Links
Hi.. If the render is sound i.e after washing off any algae (green growth) or brushing down with a stiff hand broom (not wire brish) check to see if render is dusty with a wipe pf the palm of your hand. If its dusty then you should use stabilising solution,
For 'sound' bare render use a thinned (water 30%) 1st coat of exterior masonry paint. followed by 1/2 coats of a more round coat (thicker) The water seal is for damproofing... I think :!: to be honest I havent used that, think its silicone and should'nt be painted for 30 days .. Suspect others will be along to elaborate ;)
happy painting....

Elabortator here...:cool:

Waste of time putting water repellent on the walls and very risky painting over it...masonry paint does the same thing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back