Painting skirting boards, sealant and walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently just fitted new skirting boards and used a white paintable all purpose interior sealant to fill the gaps as the walls are no way near straight!

This means that the bead varies from 10mm to 2mm along the length of the boards.

The boards have been primed and finished with 2 coats (off white colour) but I haven't yet painted the walls which are freshly skimmed. (Wrong way around I know..)

My question is should the sealant be painted the same colour as the wall so that the boards appear to be the same thickness all round, or should the vertical surface of the board and sealant be the same colour?

The second option would make the boards to appear to be really thick in places so I would have throught the first option better..

Grateful for any advice on this :)

Sponsored Links
A matter of personal preference really.
I would be inclined to paint the sealant the same as the skirting board.

Are you using gloss as a finish on the skirting board?
Dust and dirt will tend to settle on the top edge of a skirting board, so if you are using gloss, in the future it will be easier to keep clean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back