Painting skirtings with carpet in place

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any top tips not to paint the carpet as well as the skirtings? Are these paint guards any good?

Sponsored Links
You only really need to use low adhesive masking tape. Get it as tight as possible to the bottom of the skirting pushing it down with a filling knife or something similar. Make sure it is tight to the skirting or print will go under any small gaps. Wait until the paint is just about dry to remove the tape and do it very carefully so as not to peel the paint off with it. Don't think that just because there is tape there that you can just slap it on. The brush strokes will look awful if you do and the tape is there as a backup in case of any slight mishaps.

You could use Stanley Pack of six Plastic Carpet Shields ( one metre length each) about £5.Also useful for painting doors.
Push them into the gap between the carpet and skirting, remove when paint is dry ( also they are reusable )

31Am6vWrWoL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

Thanks both. I admit, I was dreading the thought of masking tape - my poor knees! LOL I got something similar today but they're Harris ones - no idea if they're going to be any good or not but I guess I can give it a go - I'll report back

Sponsored Links
my preference is to roll the carpet back from the edge (one side of the room at a time) and tuck the edge under so it doesn't flop back. Unless the carpet is fairly new it will have been stretched to fit already, and will go back quite easily. it is possible to jump or kick it towards the wall a bit (but I borrow a carpet stretcher if necessary).

As for your knees, see if you are more comfortable lying down on one side next to the wall, and wriggling along.

Masking tape every time for me and it doesn't take me more than 5-10 minutes to apply in a standard room (but I have probably applied a million miles of it over the years). Press the carpet pile down as flat as possible as you apply it as tightly as possible to the skirting. The only issue with it is that, when you come to change the carpet, there can be a slight ridge in the paint at the level of the carpet. In my opinion, everything decorman said was spot on.

Last edited:
Thanks all. Will be getting started with the painting over the weekend. Fingers crossed for a paint free carpet (or me mother will kill me! LOL)

Well, tried the paint guards and whilst it does work, it's a pain the ass to use as you have to keep stopping, wiping, moving, so went to old faithful - masking tape! LOL I tried lifting a bit of the carpet back but, let's say it's well laid - couldn't get it off the gripper edge stuff.

Do you remove the masking tape between coats though?

As for your knees, see if you are more comfortable lying down on one side next to the wall, and wriggling along.
I've had to do that for ages- too much kneeling when a young plumb:(

My knees are knackered - getting down is a nightmare as is getting back up again - tried using the dog to push myself up but he just lay down (either that or I flattened him!! LOL)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back