Painting some old wooden chairs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've stripped and sanded down a couple of old wooden chairs which have been handed down to us and the time has almost come for us to paint them.

Could someone tell me if I need to use a primer + undercoat + final coat or if I can miss one of the stages? Opinion seems to be divided on this subject so I'd appreciate peoples opninions here. The chairs will only be used indoors.

A further complication is that the country I'm restoring these chair in (Norway) I can't seem to find any undercoat? I can only find a wood primer which I'm told in the stores should be sufficient?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Most acrylic primer is primer/undercoat so you should be OK. Thin it down a little though or you'll get a load of brush-marks.

Thanks for the reply joe-90.

Sorry if this sounds daft but what should I thin the primer down with? And why is this needed? Why isn't it set to the right consistancy in the first place to prevent brush marks?

Add a little water (about 5%). All paint is supplied to be watered down according to what you wish to use it for. You can always water it down - but you can't thicken it up. Try it when you buy it - you'll see what I mean.

Sponsored Links
Both. Just try a little test and you'll see what I mean. You are looking to make the paint flow off your brush - you shouldn't have to fight it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back