painting stained ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, not been here in awhile but i have a major problem with some painting. I have three days off work,yesterday,today and tomorrow. I decided as a brithday treat to myself that i would do some painting in the sitting room.

now due to ill health,work,other projects etc the room has not been painted in 5 years :oops: add in the fact that we are both smokers and have an open fire and you can imagine the state of the place.

i have finished the 6th coat of white emulsion on the ceiling and when it dried i can still see some stains coming through. i am using B&Q "value" emulsion and its taken 10 ltrs so far.

I am really behind at this stage and really fed up. do i just keep going at it or would a different brand make a differance? can anyone recommend one? the closest shed is a woodies but there are lots of indie paint shops around. i just don't fancy trying to explain why i did not re paint for 5 years :(

Sponsored Links
You need Polycell Basecoat, or the own brand equivalent, B&Q do one which is good and much cheaper. It's designed to cover stains and dark colours, just paint over it with the emulsion.

Nicotine ...duhhhhhh

Base coats wont help..
A wash down with sugar soap then;
Use either bog standard solvent based undercoat Thinned with white spirit then two coats of emulsion of choice. walls too if your going to emulson them..
Special stain blockers/ primers can be used this one is the flavour of the month just now...http://www.zinsseruk.com/shop/Product.aspx?cId=130&pgId=357
Its very good and dries in 30 min.
Good luck

thanks for the tips guys. will give the polycell basecoat a try, have not got time at the min to sugar soap a ceiling and then use oil based stuff on it.

will let you know how i get on.

Sponsored Links
BBut the water based basecoats will not hold back the nicotine m8.. and the stain will bleed through as the coats dry. :cry:
You will waste money on the basecoats..

The coverstain will go strait onto the many emulsion coats you have already applied without the need (now) for sugar soap.

The coverstain will go strait onto the many emulsion coats you have already applied without the need (now) for sugar soap.

thats good to know, but i have never used oil based paint on a ceiling. is this the same as undercoating a door? i really need to make sure i repaint sooner from now on. i simply could not get it done.

will be banning smoking indoors from now on. (well tbh will last a few days till wife puts her foot down lol)

soups05
jondecs is correct, it's oil based undercoat you need and yes, it is the same stuff that you paint a door with.
It's the tar that you're covering up. The same tar that's in your lungs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now.......... I'm going to save your life.

My pal, smoked for over 50 years, didn't want to stop, goes to doc and ends up at with this guy that runs a clinic on a Thurs at Chorley because he's passionate about it.
Matey went to see him and............ never smokes again :eek:

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

His name -
Dr Vincent G Mainey X smokers.
http://sitebuilder.yell.com/sb/show.do?id=SB0002099649000010
Fabulous bloke.

quick update, did the ceiling with that zinsser, €35 for 2.5 lts :eek:

it was well worth it. did the topcoat and it looks great now. thanks for the help guys. now back to the grindstone lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back