Painting stained wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm decorating the hallway. I've sanded most of the woodwork in preparation for priming/undercoating and finishing with satinwood.

View media item 28816
Unfortunately, while i've been able to sand most of the wood back to almost bare like below;

View media item 28817
the handrail is proving to be much harder work and despite lots of work it currently looks like this;

View media item 28818 View media item 28819
Can I proceed to prime/undercoat now or;

- do i need to continue with the sanding?
- should I proceed with a liquid sander?
- should I use a niche product on the handrail before finishing with the satinwood?

Grateful for the benefit of your experience

Sponsored Links
Think you have a little more prep before you commence your paint system, areas where you have broken through the varnish will need a knotting solution applied before you start painting.

With regard to the handrail if you have removed the shine from the existing varnish without breaking through you can forget the primer/undercoat and straight on with the Satinwood.

Dec.

Think you have a little more prep before you commence your paint system, areas where you have broken through the varnish will need a knotting solution applied before you start painting.

With regard to the handrail if you have removed the shine from the existing varnish without breaking through you can forget the primer/undercoat and straight on with the Satinwood.

Dec.
The handrail doesn't have any knots on it. Do I still need the knotting solution?

Sponsored Links
Well not if your sure, yet if you have broken through the existing coating you will need to at the very least spot prime those areas.

Satinwood is self undercoating and in a situation such as yours your need would have been only to remove the shine, when done, straight on with the Satinwood.

Dec.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back