Painting Steel Cabinet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've been given a steel cabinet and was going to have a go at painting it. Its been repainted once quite badly already by the looks of it, also some surface rust and a few spots of more serious rust.
Wanted to ask for advice about preparing and repainting. Started sanding as you can see in the photo. Do I need to get every last bit of rust of before priming? It's quite tricky/time consuming to get it completely removed. Or is there a paint to go on rust before primer to stop in rusting again?
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20210518_174350.jpg
    IMG_20210518_174350.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 74
Sponsored Links
You could treat it like a car and rub it down with wet-and-dry paper. Stop as soon as it is flat, do not cut through to the metal especially if it is galvanised. You must dry it off quickly to prevent rust. Remove handles and hinges if possible.

Most people will never look at the paint finish anywhere but on the face of the doors.

Thanks for that. With rust should I just aim to remove any loose bits before painting then?

you need to remove flaky paint overlaying rust patches. A scraper will be quicker than sanding. smooth them off with wire wool and treat with Kurust to neutralise the metal before you prime and repaint.

Sponsored Links
As well as Kurust, Hammerite also do a range of paints which can go directly onto non-flaking rust.

What do you plan for the cabinet once done? Where will it be? What will it be used for?

Obviously there are different aesthetic requirements for a storage cupboard in the shed vs a drinks cabinet in the living room...

If its for a man-cave, for example, it might look cool with all the paint chemically removed, all the flaking rust removed, and then just waxed and polished....

Or going further down the no-expense-spared road, take it to be blasted and powder coated in a nice metallic. Or chrome - couldnt find any images of cabinets, but this is what chrome powder coat can do:

15999_result2.jpg

On a cabinet of such size, avoid brushing Hammerite like the plague, it would end up truly dreadful. A brushing enamel would probably be best, maybe painting each surface flat to avoid runs.
John :)

Wot they say - whatever paint you use, spraying is the way to go, as it always is with sheet metal.

On a cabinet of such size, avoid brushing Hammerite like the plague, it would end up truly dreadful. A brushing enamel would probably be best, maybe painting each surface flat to avoid runs.

I agree. Hammerite is not what it once was and even when it was, it didn't work well brushing over a large surface area. I found the Lidl paints for metals better than Hammerite and they allow time to apply before they become unworkable - much cheaper too.

Hi thanks for all the advice. Hoping to get it looking good enough for inside, it will go in the garage if not.
Planning on spray painting it. The previous attempt at repainting was brushed on and it looks terrible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back