Painting the Lead Flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What sort of paint should I use to paint the lead flashing on the outside of my house? Will ordinary masonry paint be ok?

Sponsored Links
It's not a good idea to paint lead - paint won't stick long term . Better to clean with scotchbrite pads and then wipe with patination oil

Sponsored Links
It's not a good idea to paint lead - paint won't stick long term . Better to clean with scotchbrite pads and then wipe with patination oil

I recently had to strip the old paint from lead using paint stripper. The downside is that you need to use water to remove the paint stripper. The water turned the lead chalky white so I had to polish it up with a scotchbrite pad and try to apply the patination oil before it rained again.

It probably took someone an hour to paint it, and it took me a day to undo their work.

BTW, it is imperative that you wear a mask and gloves whilst polishing/sanding the lead. And then bag up the gloves and mask and bin them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back