Painting Two Shed Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had two shed doors fitted (tongue and groove wood), but they're unpainted.
What is the best way to paint them please?
There's been a fair bit of rain, do I need to wait until the wood is completely dry?
Should I paint the whole door or just the front?

When I say shed door they're in a row of brick built sheds as sometimes found attached to blocks of flats.

Sponsored Links
I'd use a water-repellent woodstain, not a paint which will crack and peel and hold damp.

The gaps between the boards will open up in dry weather, so you will need to do them again in the summer. You can touch up just the gaps with a small brush. You can do a better job if you take the doors off and lie them flat. You won't be able to do the bottom of the doors, which need it most, while they are hung.

Decking stain is more durable than fence stain.

Preservative stain is better still, but more expensive. Ordinary stain contains no preserver but you can treat it first.

Pay extra attention to the top, bottom, end grain, and timber within a foot of the ground.

Overhanging eaves and gutters will give some protection against rain.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back