painting wall paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was watching Ann Maurice's programme on 5 last night. Two of her home staging contestants had a disaster. They were trying to paint on top of wallpaper and the wallpaper was bubbling up. She said this was because they were using water-based emulsion which was softening the wallpaper paste. Instead, they should have used an oil-based product. Now, I am planning to emulsion on top of lining paper and I was wondering if this means I need to use all oil-based paints (in which case am I looking to buy Farrow and Ball, which is expensive) or just the first coat? I know you're not supposed to mix paints. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
All rubbish
I was watching Ann Maurice's programme on 5 last night. Two of her home staging contestants had a disaster. They were trying to paint on top of wallpaper and the wallpaper was bubbling up. She said this was because they were using water-based emulsion which was softening the wallpaper paste. Instead, they should have used an oil-based product.[/code]

Sponsored Links
Ive found most of those DIY programes are very amutuerish in there approach.

I can see what she is saying about the water based causing the problems and using oil based...but wall papers that arnt meant to be painted shouldnt be full stop.

Zampa said:
see what she is saying about the water based causing the problems and using oil based...but wall papers that arnt meant to be painted shouldnt be full stop.

No, but lining paper is meant to be painted, Zampa, and given that it too uses wallpaper paste, that was my concern.

NickStone, if any Paintable Wallcovering that has been hung with paste & it blisters due to being painted with an water-based emulsion then i am afraid the wallcovering has not been hung properly.

Therefore, all the wallcovering should be stripped off.

By applying an Oil-Based paint over an Paintable Wallcovering then this can cause loss of adhesion with future coatings as water-based over oil-based has a history of problems with adhesion.

Another problem coating lining paper with an oil-based paint is it will cause non-breathable wallcoverings to not dry. Also it can help contribute with damp like conditions.

Third_Eye said:
if any Paintable Wallcovering that has been hung with paste & it blisters due to being painted with an water-based emulsion then i am afraid the wallcovering has not been hung properly.

Therefore, all the wallcovering should be stripped off.
Seems a bit extreme. :eek:

Well the other route is even more extreme.

i.e. A quick fix with oil-base paint.

However, if you are working for an client who demands 110% perfection then they will not pay up for anything less.

Also, the amount of scenario's i have been in is amazing. Clients saying i just want a cheap/quick fix. To then phone back and explain things are now going wrong. Even though they demanded a quick fix.

They then have the cheek to say, "I will need to pay you again to fix it then" !

This is why i explain to clients/DIY'rs that all the wallcovering should be stripped off.

sorry don't mean to steal this thread,

Then don't, see forum rule 20

Third eye, if you think lining paper's a no-no, your solution would presumably be to replaster all the walls? I've rejected this because the actual plaster is sound. It's just the old paint - too many patches to scrape off.

NickStone:
Just use emulsion.

If the paper hasn't got any bubbles to start with and it then bubbles....they will go back like gcol says, however, if it is already bubbled..they will not.
Fear not................. continue with your chosen emulsons.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back