painting wall paper

And I find the best paste is LAP...yeh i know its a pig to mix...but great adhesion.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all those great hints, guys. Zampa, I've never heard of 'lap' paste but I'll check it out. I'm not a pro so it might not be suitable.

You dont have to be a pro to use lap..just mix it carefully., sprinkling a little in at a time a stirring well

Before solvite polycell came out all wallpaper paste was like this...Lap and Rex papstes nearly went out of business when they brought in modern easy mix stearch ether pastes around the same time as vinyl wallpaper was introduced because they didnt contain a fungicide, but now they do.

Sponsored Links
The thing with LAP is that it is a cold water starch paste and difficult to mix propely and is a very strong paste usually used for heavy weight papers. This is just not needed on lining paper. Another reason is when you come to strip it off, it wont budge and will come off in postage stamp sized peices. Solvite will do just fine. There is no need to leave a gap between the paper and if put up properly should not even show a join. You should get bubbles anyway. I ag.ree with Third eye ! The original question was about the tv shows coments.
Usually on tv they dry strip vinyl wallpaper off and paint the backing paper, this was not how it was intended and does not work the same as lining paper hence it bubbles up.

Usually on tv they dry strip vinyl wallpaper off and paint the backing paper,
:mad: ..Aint that the truth!

Your right robbie it is tricky to mix..but ive also found that some of the oordinary pastes like solvite etc are becoming tricky because they dissolve in about 20 seconds..if you spend to long shaking the powder in you end up with apple doughnut filling :evil:

The only reason I use lap for lining paper is peace of mind..especially if im papering over it with a hand print or something a bit pricy.

Yeah i know what you mean. My dearest paper to put on was £450 a roll and plenty at well over £100 a roll. You have to slow down and treat very carefully. Gulp!! :eek:

so when filling the gaps in lining paper, should you paint the paper first then fill, or fill it then paint it? I'm thinking that if you fill a gap and then sand it gently , it'll ruin the paper, wont it?

I would give the paper a coat first..it hardens the surface up and reduces the chances of the filler soaking into the paper and causing the edges to bubble.

Then sand lightly touch up using a small roller and then coat te whole wall

That never turn out well for me :cry:
The couple of times I did it like that, you could still see faint bits of filler in certain lights.

If and when I do have to fill the butt joins :oops: , I fill first, then gently sand down, then get some diluted paint,whack that on a couple of times prior to rolling, and you dont see the filler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back