painting wall paper

Sponsored Links
Thin the first coat out a little though...it will go on easier and help you not get roller stipple and brush marks..it will also bind onto the surface better.

gcol said:
So, you've never had a bubble when you've painted lining paper you've hung have you?

What has that got to do with my opinions on bubbling paintable wallpaper.

NickStone said:
if you think lining paper's a no-no

I did not write that lining paper is a no-no.

Have you lined your walls yet ?

What room are you intending to line ?

Third_Eye said:

I haven't lined anything yet. I was intending to line the sitting room and bedrooms.

Sponsored Links
Third_Eye said:
gcol said:
So, you've never had a bubble when you've painted lining paper you've hung have you?
I just wondered if you strip off all the lining paper you put up if you see a bubble when you paint it. You dig?

gcol said:
Third_Eye said:
gcol said:
I just wondered if you strip off all the lining paper you put up if you see a bubble when you paint it. You dig?

It has happened to me once when i was an Apprentice. Though my Boss ordered me to strip it all off :rolleyes:

Since that experience it has never happened to me again.

NickStone said:
Third_Eye said:

I haven't lined anything yet. I was intending to line the sitting room and bedrooms.

Ok.

I was just wondering if you were intending to line a Kitchen or bathroom which i would not recomend.

Also, be aware that lining paper can show the butt joints if walls are uneven.

This may annoy you after your walls are lined and emulsioned. As when different light appears then it can expose them.

Third_Eye said:
Since that experience it has never happened to me again.
I find this very hard to believe.
Third_Eye said:
Also, be aware that lining paper can show the butt joints if walls are uneven.
This may annoy you after your walls are lined and emulsioned. As when different light appears then it can expose them..
If you purposly leave a small gap (say 1-2mm) you can quickly and easily fill it when the paper has dried to leave a flawless join. When painted it's invisible.

I find this very hard to believe.
Thats OK.

If you purposly leave a small gap (say 1-2mm) you can quickly and easily fill it when the paper has dried to leave a flawless join. When painted it's invisible.
This can cause the lining paper & the filler to create an hairline crack a few years down the line. As two different products react differently when emulsioned over and/or steam etc...

Thanks, gcol and third eye. It's true that I am easily annoyed so maybe I do need to go the replaster route- at least for the sitting room. You've given me lots to think about anyway and I appreciate that.

I can only tell you my opinion and experience with hanging lining paper.

I hang a lot of lining paper, and I do get the odd bubble when I paint it, but that is normally at the edge of the butt join, :oops: Why I dont know, cause I always size the walls, and slap on the paste, and even give where the butt joins are going a quick lick over with the paste, but it has happened, and its always gone back.

The most comon reason for paper to bubble, is if you have missed a spot when you have pasted your length, or you havent smoothed paper out properly, but it happens to the best of us, and the majority of the time it will go back, but will bubble up again when you apply your 2nd or third coat of paint, but it will settle down, and that is with using emulsion, so Ms AM is talking out of her A r s e. :rolleyes:

Gotta be honest here.
I never get bubbles and I'm pretty sure it's down to the fact that I soak my papers longer.
I would never hang a paper after only soaking it for the recommended 10 min's. If I need to bang it on pretty quickly, I would also sponge the front of it first.
For a few years now I've also got into the habit of using a Spontex instead of a brush..I now switch between Spontex and Walwiz.

And......for the "merchant of doom"......no probs.

I use a slightly damp medium or long pile roller sleeve mostly these days...its wide, smooth, you get an even pressure all over, and being damp it helps remove any excess paste that may have found its way onto the face of the paper.

I must admit I rarely get bubbles..I do get the occasional edge lifting..easliy sorted with a bit of emulsion under the ppaer.

As for the gaps at the seams..hmm..I dont see the point in leaving gaps of a couple of mm just in case theres an overlap..filling ads time to a job...I know loads of blokes who do leave a gap though and fill it as common practice...it can cause its own set of problems..the filler, if applied to thick can cause the paper to bubble on the seam.

If your going to go for this option paint the wall first, fill, rub down, touch up and then second coat.

I butt the joint tight if im painting the wall and leave a 1mm gap if im papering over.

When I first started out as an apprentice we used to coat the seams with knotting prior to papering to seal them.

Can i say "spice" that i find paste not to be the best of size, when used with lining paper.

Yes, it's good over bare plaster plaster etc, but it's rubbish with any fillers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back