painting walls damaged by water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if anyone can help. I recently painted the walls of a new utility room, unfortunately there was a leak in the ceiling, not too bad but some of the paint blistered and i had to take it off. when i came to repaint the wall the problem was you could see where the the paint had flaked off in other words you could see the shape of the dmaged bit of paint under the new layer of paint...not sure if that makes sense...hope so. I have tried sanding around the edge of the damaged bits to try feather it so that it isnt noticeable but it doesnt work.
all ideas greatfully received
regards
bill

Sponsored Links
Try rubbing it down with a fine coarse of wet & dry paper very lighty in warm soapy water.

do you mean you ended up with a damaged patch that even when painted is at a slightly different level to the surrounding paint?

Sponsored Links
theres more than one there are a cple of patches around the room not very big though 3-4 inches across is the biggest

get your self a small pot of fine surface filler and a filling knife. just work it across the hole to get it proud of it and wait for it to start to go off. then just work across it to get it smooth and level with the existing. If you need to just give it a fine sand with some fine 120 or 160 grit paper and then paint it. It shouldnt notice then. Make sure the damp has dried out fully though, and if there is any staining give it a coat of gloss first before filling to stop any stains coming through

Good luck

Thermo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back