Painting walls to look like wood...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Can you use Dulux Satinwood (solvent based) over Matt emulsion to give a satin finish to a wall?

The wall needs to be given the same texture as the skirting board in that room, which is MDF painted with Dulux Satinwood paint. I was hoping to be able to roller or brush the same paint onto the wall above the skirting board but don't want it to end up peeling off in 6 months time.

I had also considered using Dulux bathroom paint which has a sheen, but already have 2.5l of the Satinwood left over from another project that I would prefer to use. Obviously I could thin down the first coat with thinners if it would help.

Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can use satinwood over the emulsion.

You might not want to sleep in the house though because of the smell.

The texture will be an issue though. You might be able to sand the walls flat using 180grit paper on a random orbital sander connected to a dust extractor.

Applying the paint will be far from easy as you need to maintain the wet edge. I have done similar a few times and had to use lots of owatrol to help keep the sheen consistent.

Personally I would suggest waterbased eggshell on the walls, the sheen will be similar to the satinwood and wont yellow.

Thanks for the response and the information. I think you're right about the wet edge and about the texture too... I think I'll need to give it some more thought before I leap in and make a mistake.

Trying an eggshell sounds like a good idea too... I think I might take a trip to the nearby paint counter and see what they supply in an eggshell that matches the Wiltshire White of the skirting.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Your local dulux trade counter will be able to mix the acrylic eggshell for you given that the satinwood that you have is dulux already.

I have oilbased eggshell on my kitchen walls, a bright yellow, they have discoloured significantly. No longer a vibrant yellow but more of a dirty yellow.

I applied it using a short nap rad roller with lots of owatrol added. I love the fact that it is pretty flat, lacking the orange peel effect, and it is very scrubbable.

To be honest when i repaint I will go for a waterbased eggshell. The peel effect will be marginally higher but I will use floetrol to minimise it.

I had the advantage of painting over fresh lining paper, given that you dont I still think that the waterbased eggeshell will let you build up volume faster (to partially smooth the surface).

Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back