Painting wood that's had OB gloss then WB gloss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be starting to paint my living room wood work soon and I've stumbled on a problem...

The rest of the house had been painted with OB gloss so it was just a case of roughing the paint with 130 grit and undercoat / coat with WB.

However when I tried to sand the living room paint the top layer scraped off in patches leaving what looks like gloss underneath, it was a test area on the side of a door so not to worry just yet!

I found an old tin of Crown quick drying gloss in the garage so I assume whoever painted it just put a coat over the gloss to hide the yellowing.

How do I move forward with this, if I sand it the finish is going to look terrible.

Sponsored Links
Best bet in my opinion is to keep over-coating it - it gets tougher as it gets thicker.

No, just a couple of quick coats slightly thinned, good synthetic brush.

Sponsored Links
What grade and type of abrasive paper are you using?

Silicon carbide or the wet n dry stuff is a lot less forgiving than aluminium oxide

No, just a couple of quick coats slightly thinned, good synthetic brush.

I will be using Dulux Quick Drying as the tin is already open, it appears that it's already thinned as it needed 3 to 4 coats in the other room!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back