Painting wooden slats of clothes dryer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a cast iron pulley with pine slats. Looking to paint the slats for a couple of reasons...

1) The ceiling is newly painted white so trying to make it stand out a bit less

2) The pine is starting to blacken a little (mould?) - not transferring to clothes yet, but want to prevent future issues.

What is the best white paint to use, considering it is for hanging damp clothes???

Also, with 3 children it is constantly in use, so ideally something that is easy and quick to apply a couple of coats.

Sponsored Links
Off hand, I can't think of any suitable pigmented paint.

One of the OSMA clear coatings might suffice though.

TBH, I would stick with the naked wood unless there are problems. Increasing air flow might be a better priority.

Just stumbled across this post, sorry if I am late to the party.

I would advise that you do not attempt to paint the slats, why because I have never ever seen a "working pulley" with pained slats.

If you consider the working environment of any paint film? heat, humidity and worst of all abrasion by many differing fabrics, in effect a worst case scenario for a paint film to try to withstand?

OK Paint the slats if the pulley is a decorative non functional item, but not if it is being utilised for its original intended function

Only thing I can think of doing is to sand of the slats back to their original red pine.

Ken

Sponsored Links
i'm really surpised there is no suitable paint for wood that is exposed to a bit of dampness. what about something like ronseal floor paint in white? (have used this in grey on a floor and it goes on easily, dries quickly and forms a stable surface)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back