http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/painting-laminated-gloss-wood-

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

It's my first proper painting job at home and I'd appreciate some advice. I've been doing some reading and watched a few videos online, but specific suggestions would be great.

I want to paint two wooden pieces of furniture. One is a very small hanging display (not sure how to describe it, see the picture below) and the second is a quite large chest of drawers. Both are white and glossy and I'd like to refresh both of them, starting with the small piece and then go to the large one.

My main question is about removing the old coat of pain. As you'll see in the picture, a large piece of paint is missing. I'm assuming I should:

- clean the surface
- remove the whole white coat (from all the surfaces) with a chisel or similar
- sand the surface evenly
- paint with my white "one coat gloss for interior wood and metal" paint

I'm hoping there is no need for a primer here, or am I wrong? Should I use both a primer and a one coat gloss paint for such a small project?

The second piece will be after I gain some experience, but in this case, the chest is in much better state and there's no chipping paint. The biggest issue is with the top surface, which has a couple of scratches. In that case, is it enough to sand it thoroughly and then paint it over, or is anything else needed like removing the old coat? Would I need the primer in this case?

The photos can be found here:
//www.diynot.com/network/Lukasz/albums/20208

Thanks so much for your help,
Lukasz

Sponsored Links
I'd say that with both of them, give them a good clean, then go over them with some sandpaper, this will get rid of any bits of flaky paint/rough wood and make a better surface for the gloss to go on. Then use a primer but only on the bits of wood that are bare. Then paint with gloss :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back