Painting woodwork

L

LooPrEvil

Hi I wish to repaint my hallway. Can anybody please advise of the preparation needed.

The current paint is water based, but I wish to to use oil based gloss as I believe it be be harder wearing on banisters etc.

I was thinking of sanding and cleaning with sugar soap, is that sufficent and will I need to undercoat again?

Sponsored Links
Hi - a light sand and wipe down with sugar soap should be fine. I would re-consider using an oil based paint if you are after a pure white finish though as it tends to yellow quite readily if exposed to minimul sunlight. With regards to toughness - I've never seen that great a difference between the two, just choose a non-gloss finish and it won't show imperfections as much. Also bear in mind that most oil-based paints take a lot longer to dry than their water based equivalents. Hope this helps! The Dulux website is a good source of info if you get chance to have a look and the ronseal web has some useful reading on too.

Thanks for your advice.

I found that the water based paint I applied about three years ago to previous oil paint started to lift last year, on the stairs handrail. It was the first time I had used water based paint and I am disappointed as it now requires loads of sanding to feather the edges. I have never had such a problem with oil based gloss. :(

If you use water based paint on top of gloss, lightly sand thoroughly. Better still undercoat, but still sand.

If you sugar-soap, rinse well with plenty of clean water.

Sponsored Links
I did not undercoat, that was the only difference, I will give your method a shot. Thanks

Paint peel only occurs with bad prep so like the last post said a good thorough sand and wipe down should do the trick. Even if undercoat is used, it should still be sanded between coats, wiped down and left to dry. Its also a good idea to pour your paint into another pot, that way you stop cross contamination and avoid bits in your paint next time you come to use it

Thanks again for the additional tips. I do not sand between coats, why do you do that, and how do you remove the dust it will create?

Its all about providing a 'key' for the next layer of paint to stick to, otherwise there is a chance it will peel (like before?) Sanding wise - just use a DAMP cloth with diluted sugar soap, obviously rinse the cloth well. Or - if you have a suitable hoover - give the area a quick vac then wipe over. The sugar soap will get rid of all oils/grease/contamination etc so you won't have the paint reacting to anything you may have inadvertently put on it (sweaty fingers and the like!)

I am now well prepared with good advice - thanks very much. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back