painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently painted some mahogany doors , first with white undercoat then with Dulux one-coat satin white.(brushes washable in water)however i've not been able to achieve a satisfactory finish, in fact i'm still not satisfied, as i found the paint to be very difficult to apply evenly so that it merged seamlessly where i had just left off. Was i putting it on too thickly /not thickly enough ,Is there a better one shot paint to use or a better conventional satin paint. or,maybe,i'm just not avery good painter.

Sponsored Links
zorro said:
I recently painted some mahogany doors , first with white undercoat then with Dulux one-coat satin white.(brushes washable in water)however i've not been able to achieve a satisfactory finish, in fact i'm still not satisfied, as i found the paint to be very difficult to apply evenly so that it merged seamlessly where i had just left off. Was i putting it on too thickly /not thickly enough ,Is there a better one shot paint to use or a better conventional satin paint. or,maybe,i'm just not avery good painter.

Must confess I have'nt used dulux one coat satin, but when I use a 'waterbased satin / gloss' on a door, instead of workind side to side work top to bottom i.e about two widths strips, work quickly and lay off each strip before next section and try not to overbrush finished area's as this will cause a 'flashy' apperance (presume they're flush doors ?).

Myself. when a customer demands a non smelly paint, I use dulux quick drying eggshel trade, Thinned a little for ease of applicatin ;) not to make paint go further. find two coats are best to eliminate shadowy effect. The one coat paints are really for going over sound previously painted stuff. I think people make a mistake here of thinking one coat paints will cover anything but on side of tin it usually says sometimes two coats maybe required to acheive desired results.
Have done quite a few staicases/ doors with qick drying eggshell, seems at first that it's not 'man enuf' for the job but once fully dry/cured about 7 days it's hard as gloss. As long as you fully abrade (no skimping ;) ) and wash first.

Leyland paints have brought a new one coat gloss...its called 'twice'

Sponsored Links
Thanks for taking the time to respond, I've bought the egg-shell paint as you suggested and it's definitely much much better to use and the finish is great .Zampa..enjoyed the humour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back