Paints for covering wood cladding in a bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am putting up some 'wainscot' style wood panelling in our bathroom, and would like to know the best types of paint to use.

The wood panelling itself will be softwood.

I plan to use knotting solution first, then apply primer, undercoat, and a finish of eggshell (probably) or gloss overcoat.

There seems to be different types of primer available and i'm not sure of the difference, can someone explain...:

- obliterating primer
- acrylic primer
- acrylic primer and undercoat
- stain killing primer

Also what is the main difference between the primer and the undercoat and if I am painting the final overcoat colour is white or pale colour do I still need an undercoat or would a primer/undercoat mix be suitable?

Should I use a water-based undercoat or an alkyd undercoat (what is the difference)?

Many thanks
Tom

Sponsored Links
If its got knots, as well as using knotting (which 'ain't always 100%) use a stain blocking primer like Zinsser bulls eye 123 which will also help to stop bleed through from the new softwood.
It will also help to "knock back" the colour of the timber.

It can also be an undercoat, but a proper undercoat has more "body" which helps to level the surface and hide some minor blemishes in the timber, as well as improving the depth of colour.

Thanks for the recommendation

Any idea if this product is available in any of the chain stores (toolstation, B&Q, etc...) haven't come across it before?

Cheers
Tom

Sponsored Links
You may find it in B&Q I have seen it there sometimes but the best bet is a trade outlet like Brewers.
It's pricy, but very good it will sort out all kinds of problems on difficult surfaces, water based dries in about an hour can be used inside or out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back