pampas grass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I too am having problems with a pampas grass in my front garden - the middle of it looks all dead and brown, but when I tried to remove all of the dead bits, it now looks like tragic mullet in the garden - was thinking about cutting it all off - will this work? will it grow back twice as much? help - it was ugly before, but is now positively hideous!

your post has been split, see forum rule 20

Sponsored Links
Hello,

A friend of mine with a large pampas grass used to chuck a match into the dead stuff in the middle early every winter. It always used to come back looking fine.

Sponsored Links
Agree, burning the Pampass is the recognised way of dealing with them to encourage nice fresh groth in the Spring. But first BEFORE you set it alight just make sure that no dormice or suchlike have set up home in there

oldfella said:
Agree, burning the Pampass is the recognised way of dealing with them to encourage nice fresh groth in the Spring. But first BEFORE you set it alight just make sure that no dormice or suchlike have set up home in there

Or swingers :D

Thats funny someone only told me about that the other day. i mentioned it to the guys at the nursery i use and they hadnt heard of it either. they did say maybe they should advertise them a bit more now thye knew that! :LOL:

Thermo said:
Thats funny someone only told me about that the other day. i mentioned it to the guys at the nursery i use and they hadnt heard of it either. they did say maybe they should advertise them a bit more now thye knew that! :LOL:

Now I presume you mean garden nursery !! Otherwise I'll have to report you :D :LOL:

I was told about it at Christmas, and then a couple of days later there was a Comic Strip programme on telly that mentioned it.

I was starting to wonder if this meant it was a universally recognised code or, given that Adrian Edmondson's Dad lives in our village, it was unique to us.

Guess I know the answer now......

It was during a chat with the retired neighbours one afternoon, He said his previous house had lovely gardens and a lovely pampas grass plant in the centre of the lawn, prior to this we thought them to be strange as he (60yrs) always removes his top at the hint of any sun and she sits in the garden with just bra n nicks in the sun.
They also go out every friday night at 9.30pm dressed up in various styles every week and usually arrive home the next morning.
It wasn't until i watched that comic strip show at xmas that the penny dropped..........
To top it my mate has just removed a pampas grass from his front lawn following the purchase of his house, i looked around the other day and the bedrooms...............well one is claret and red with various holes dotted around the wall where "unknown" items have been fixed at one point.........................

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back