Pan fire

STI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Bought a house where they had had a chip pan fire. The walls and ceiling are covered in a black film. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this off ready for decorating. The walls and ceiling are painted in a silk finish. I have tried soap and water it gets some off but there is still a black stain left in place, i tried soap and water and imediately vacced this with a wet and dry. This lifted the dirty water but then left a dirty black gathering when i lifted the vac head.

As a follow on question, all the ceilings need to be re boarded. Can i just put new boards over the old or do the old have to come down.

Trying to save time and mess
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just reboard over the old ceiling. I have done this through out my house.
(and have it plastered)

Andy

You can try using sugar soap and then rinsing with clean water, or to seal the affected areas you could as your first coat apply an Alkali Resistant primer. prior to re-decoration.

Dec

• Thanks
Reactions: STI

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back