Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR EX75

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi The DVD player has stopped working on my recorder. I can't play discs, and I can't record from the HDD drive to the DVD or vice versa. It first started as I was transfering content from the HDD to a DVD. I got a message on the screen which said something like 'all of the recording could not be made because there is a problem with the disc'. I have cleaned the laser and unplugged the unit from the power to restart it but to date no luck. Any idea's would be greatly appreciated.
John.

Sponsored Links
That's a really annoying thing. I come across this sort of thing quite regularly on the forums, and have also suffered the same fate with my own Philips HDD/DVD recorder... It's now just a HDD recorder.

In cleaning the laser lens you've done everything you can to solve the problem. If it's still not working then it could be a dead laser, or just heat that's killed something in the electronics. You might strike it lucky with a DIY repair (normal safety caveats apply) and find a bulging cap or two.

The alternatives are trying to find a replacement optical drive, or sending it off for professional attention.

There are one or two that use a disk with an eyelash type thing attached, to clean the lens, then there are those that take it apart and clean it manually, but when that doesn't work, there is a voltage regulator, and tuner on the assembly. One focusses the laser, and one alters the power to the laser assembly. And non reading can also be caused by the step motor not resetting to the outside max.

New laser assemblies are now dead cheap, but have a shorted circuit, that needs to be removed before installation, but the lens has to be calibrated by an oscilloscope. Doing it manually is a nighmare!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back