Panasonic TX-W28D2DP - takes ages for the picture to appear

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old-ish Panasonic TX-W28D2DP (Widescreen CRT TV) - over the past few months, whenever it is switched on the picture has taken longer and longer to appear.

Normally it should take a couple of seconds, but now, from standby, it takes nearly a minute for the picture to appear (sound is present and correct during this period).

I know something about electronics but I'm not so hot on TVs - however, if someone was able to point at the suspect part I'm sure I could replace it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
This can be fixed...but is it worth it?

People are giving CRT TVs to place like Freecycle because they just can't shift 'em in classifieds. Do you want to chuck a bunch of cash at the telly, or is it better to pick up a top of the range TV as a replacement for next to nothing. Your choice.

I certainly don't want to throw a load of cash at it, but equally I don't want to have to splash out a few hundred quid for a new LCD TV just yet, especially as this is such a good set.

As I have electronics experience (just not with TVs) I was hoping that there might be a common cause for the fault - I could then source said part (I would hope it would be a few quid at most) and replace the part myself.

Job done.

I hope ............. :)

...then Google is your friend. If it's a common fault there'll be quite a few entries online about how to fix it :D

Sponsored Links
Already Googled for ages and can't find anything relevant for this model. :(

Perhaps it's just too old then to have been caught by the 'net. Unless you are willing to risk springing £20-£30 on a service manual + the cost of parts then it's keep trawling or just get a replacement CRT TV for not much money. I bought a top of the range Philips 32" Pixel Plus TV for £40 last year. It's hard to do, I know, but sometimes it's better to let go and move on

I have an old-ish Panasonic TX-W28D2DP (Widescreen CRT TV) - over the past few months, whenever it is switched on the picture has taken longer and longer to appear.

Normally it should take a couple of seconds, but now, from standby, it takes nearly a minute for the picture to appear (sound is present and correct during this period).

I know something about electronics but I'm not so hot on TVs - however, if someone was able to point at the suspect part I'm sure I could replace it.

Thanks

Pana is SOOO hard to diagnose, as they are normally so reliable. If the PSU isn't indicating a fault, and shutting the set down, so it seems the tube heaters aren't working correcty, they often go dry jointed. So seems most likely. It's a bank of heavy soldered connectors that link the tube base via the LOPTX, to the screen, you can't miss it.

Hello there,

I have found the following info:

After mains switch on, the set takes an increasingly long time (5 minutes to 2 hours) to display a picture. This time could be shortened by switching the set on and off several times
Change C623 (100uF, 50VW). This was found to be intermittent and temperature sensitive

Set taking up to 7 minutes to start up from cold. Start up from warm or standby normal
Replace C623 (100uF, 50V) in chopper circuit

These refer to the TX28W3
( Euro 1 Chassis )

Might be worth a look, it does smack of an electrolytic cap drying out over time.

http://www.e-repair.co.uk/

In the TV repairs database. I have found it to be very useful in the past, though some of the pros tend to use chassis revisions rather than model numbers, so some searching is usually needed!

Regards & good luck with it!

Hello there,

I have found the following info:

After mains switch on, the set takes an increasingly long time (5 minutes to 2 hours) to display a picture. This time could be shortened by switching the set on and off several times
Change C623 (100uF, 50VW). This was found to be intermittent and temperature sensitive

Set taking up to 7 minutes to start up from cold. Start up from warm or standby normal
Replace C623 (100uF, 50V) in chopper circuit

These refer to the TX28W3
( Euro 1 Chassis )

Might be worth a look, it does smack of an electrolytic cap drying out over time.

Unsure if the above info refers to the same chassis, but good info, OP - as stated the caps are temperature sensitive, so maybe worth going over the PSU with a hairdryer, and a can of freezer, to confirm/deny any temperature related fault.

But as you mention that sound is good, while the screen is blank, that equals tube base heater fault to me, as already stated, resolder it's socket (heavy duty rivets are used, so powerful soldering iron required to prevent heat soak)

If you increase the screen volts (make a note of position to reset it afterwards) while the picture is blank and you get a blank grey raster it is nothing to do with the heaters. It is due to the tube ageing and taking longer for the luminance circuitry to detect the picture. It will gradually take longer and longer to come on. A replacement tube is the answer but not economical.

If you increase the screen volts (make a note of position to reset it afterwards) while the picture is blank and you get a blank grey raster it is nothing to do with the heaters. It is due to the tube ageing and taking longer for the luminance circuitry to detect the picture. It will gradually take longer and longer to come on. A replacement tube is the answer but not economical.

That's another good answer! screen volts are adjusted at the side of the LOPTX, one is focus, one is volts, or turn the set on in a dark room, to make the symtom more detectable (my spelling is pot tonight).

Maybe even the tube base connections have gone dry jointed?

It's a pity that a nice TV has a fault, when there is so much throwaway thesedays. I've a 20yo+ B&O TV in my bedroom, excellent picture, can be argued better picture than my £1000 Pana in the living room, and better to me than a HD picture.

Pana to me, aren't known for dodgy tubes, Sony are. So I think you have an outside chance of sorting this OP. But all the manufacturers chop and change their suppliers, so what you regard as pana, might be Toshiba, etc..

Hope you get it fixed op.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back